LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Barboides gracilis

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Barboides gracilis

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Humunuku 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Anyone with any experience or knowledge of this bugger?

Pic: HW Choy

Attached files

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt , I have seen them at BAS they are what could only be described as micro barbs , tiny little things , I seem to remember another tiny barb B.sylvaticus coming in at the same time as these ,not sure about the husbandry really , these are for the micro fish fanciers , although there aren’t many African barbs in the hobby , its a pity as there are some real beautys !

Matt
    Keymaster

I’ve only kept ‘B.fasciolatus of the African barbs.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Nice ! another tiny barb ,there was a pic in one of the early Baench atlas’s the pic was labelled as a Rasbora , but was a Sylvaticus !

Not certain Matt but I think its either Barbus or Barbodes ?

For me one of the nicest of the Africans is B.holotaenia , with its strong black lateral band ,and its eye is a beautiful red along the top

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Andy I checked on sylvaticus and it’s in ‘Barbus‘; seems there are only two species in Barboides. Shame about your holotaenia, they look like lovely fish. Haven’t you seen them again since?

I’m after the following papers if anyone can help:

Loiselle, P.V. and R.L. Welcomme 1971 Two new species of Barbus (Pisces: Cyprinidae) from southeastern Dahomey. Rev. Zool. Bot. Afr. 83(1-2):1-15.

and

Conway, K.W. and T. Moritz 2006 Barboides britzi, a new species of miniature cyprinid from Benin (Ostariophysi: Cyprinidae), with a neotype designation for B. gracilis. Ichthyol. Explor. Freshwat. 17(1):73-84.

retro_gk
    Participant

I have a copy of the Conway paper lying around somewhere. Let me look it up. The other paper will probably have to be scanned from a print copy. I’ll see if that can be arranged.

BTW, we need to get Chuck N (Manuran on petfrd) over here for these discussions. He has been collecting in West Africa quite a bit and has an envious collection of these fish.

Matt
    Keymaster

Paul Loiselle has kindly offered to send me printed copies of both papers but if you can get hold of PDFs that’d be swell Rahul.

pablito
    Participant

QUOTE (andy rushworth @ Jun 25 2009, 05:43 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Matt , I have seen them at BAS they are what could only be described as micro barbs , tiny little things , I seem to remember another tiny barb B.sylvaticus coming in at the same time as these ,not sure about the husbandry really , these are for the micro fish fanciers , although there aren’t many African barbs in the hobby , its a pity as there are some real beautys !

I take these haven’t enough silver in them Andy?

andy rushworth
    Participant

/thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

andy rushworth
    Participant

Is this the Pablito with the short shorts and shiny black vest ?

Matt
    Keymaster

Sounds like a Friday night on Canal Street!

Humunuku
    Participant

I’m allowing myself to pick up this thread to brag about my recent spawning.

First I got hold of two specimens one year ago in Copenhagen, but I unfortunately lost them in the spring. I guess they where old as they had been in the shop for one year before I got them.

Then I was lucky to get hold of a group of eight specimens during the Oklungen/Poecilia weekend i June. Mark from UK had brought them with him for the informal auction, and I was a heavy bidder. 🙂

I placed them in a 12-litre with moss, bogwood and fine sand. I used peatfiltered water < =pH5 and fed them mostly baby brine shrimp and microworms. Some weeks ago I decided to move them in case there was some eggs to be hatched. Based on the experience that fry appears when parents move. Then I discovered that there was one specimen that was only half the size of the others, so this must have been born in the tank. Then I moved them to a longer 17-litre tank and after a couple of weeks I discovered a couple of tiny fry. Now I’m counting eight. 🙂
    I’m noticing that the smalles ones are feeding on the biofilm/algae on the tank sides, while the larger ones accepts microworms. BBS is still to large.

Stefan

May I have a copy of this:

Conway, K.W. and T. Moritz 2006 Barboides britzi, a new species of miniature cyprinid from Benin (Ostariophysi: Cyprinidae), with a neotype designation for B. gracilis. Ichthyol. Explor. Freshwat. 17(1):73-84.

Congrats on your spawning H.!! Well done and keep pouring in the info please.

Humunuku
    Participant

I’ve got some Lo-Q videos.

Stefan

Really nice, thanks for showing those.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.