LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Barbs For The Ellioti Tank?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Barbs For The Ellioti Tank?

This topic contains 38 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

dunc
    Keymaster

Looking for some barbs to go with my T. ellioti.

I’ll be keeping the cichlids at an alkaline pH [nothing drastic, just above neutral] and about 26 degrees celsius. Not much current, sand/bogwood/pebbles/floating plants kind of environment.

The ellioti naturally occur in Mexico so I would prefer some barbs from there, but on our KB I can only see the Cherry and Rosey barbs that mention mexico in their habitat field.

Endemic to Sri Lanka, where it’s natural range extends between the River Kelani and River Nilwala basins. There are also feral populations exisiting in Colombia and Mexico.

Those “feral populations”, are they naturally occurring or do you think they were introduced by man? I’d rather have the former if possible.

I’d actually love to have some quality Cherry Barbs in there, they’re a stunning little fish /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

dunc any barb found there was introduced by man mate, what about a couple of sp of livebearers like the illyodon group or xenotoca family and maybe a couple of bog standard swordtails to supply live food for the cichlids by way of their off-spring.
    btw you have’nt mentioned how big your tank is bud, that would give a better guide to what barbs would suit your tank.

mick

dunc
    Keymaster

Aye sorry lol, always forget something when I type up a post

Matt
    Keymaster

No naturally occuring barbs in Mexico mate. Feral = escaped from a domestic population. I think Mick’s livebearer suggestion is excellent and maybe Keith can help you find something interesting…

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey dunc

‘Hoplosternum’ thoracatum catfish make good companions for Firemouth cichlids and their relatives.

Regards David

dunc
    Keymaster

They don’t naturally occur in Mexico though as far as I can see, would love to create a natural biotope.

Keiiiitth, help me with livebearers!

David Marshall
    Participant

True but they do make good companions.

If you can find them these days one of the Ilyodon species would probably fit the bill for a livebearer in your set-up. At adulthood they have a fairly large body size and can move very quickly, and leap, should they feel threatened.

Regards David

dunc
    Keymaster

Am just gonna bite the bullet and get some fishes which I like the look of and haven’t kept before.. maybe some Puntis rhomboocellatus and some Synos as I’ve never kept catfish other than Cories/L number plecs.

Matt
    Keymaster

Mate don’t expect to see many young Thorichthys if you go with Synos, and I’m talking about the genus as a whole there. Also the rhombo barbs do best in soft, acidic water while the ellioti do better in slightly alkaline water, plus that particular barb is pretty shy ime. I reckon something a bit more robust would be better. Sorry if that p**ses on your fire a bit…

dunc
    Keymaster

Mmm, any other suggestions then?

ndc
    Participant

just been to barr**** and although i wouldnt buy fish from there they had some nice barbs in. large black ruby barbs (b.nigrofasciatus) but maybe a bit nippy from what i saw of them

dunc
    Keymaster

Della has those in stock too, they don’t do too much for me. Apparently they colour up nicely, but from what I saw they “just” look like black and white striped, large tigers..

ndc
    Participant

they do colour up nicelf – very bright red over half the body – woth having a look at

mickthefish
    Participant

dunc you have to see the males in full colour they’re gorgeous bud.
    if you want something in line with the syno’s without the size are M paynei very good looker and easy to keep.

have you or do you know anybody who’s a member of the live-bearers groups who could sort you out with some.

mick

just a plug, Paul Dixon goes to live bearer auctions when he can.

Matt
    Keymaster

Keith and fish48 are both members of the BLA and/or Viviparous I think…

Mick do you not think that Mochokiella would still pose a threat to cichlid eggs/fry?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.