LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Barilius bendelisis

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Barilius bendelisis

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Nikhil 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Nikhil
    Participant

Hi All,

Had been on a collection trip recently. Here are the Barilius bendelisis collected from that trip fantastic fish to see when caught. The bright yellow colouration is just simply awesome. I am going back to the spot on Monday and will try and get some field pics.

The pics are courtsey Benjamin.

Nikhil
    Participant

Apologies for the upper case Bendelisis. Can anyone correct that for me. It seems I cannot edit the topic.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Lovely looking fish Nikhil cant wait to see more pics

Jarcave
    Participant

QUOTE (Nikhil @ Feb 12 2011, 03:21 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Apologies for the upper case Bendelisis. Can anyone correct that for me. It seems I cannot edit the topic.

I had the same problem yesterday. I Pm’ed Matt who advised it’s a feature of the forum software. No need to apologise.

I’m looking forward to seeing some more pics too.

Malti
    Participant

beautiful fish mate

random2
    Participant

These are very beautiful.

Nikhil, where were these caught?

Had caught couple of juveniles near Kalsa – Bhadra river

coelacanth
    Participant

Looks almost like a Zacco sp.!

Nikhil
    Participant

Thanks a lot guys. They seemed to be in high numbers but I did not have space for more than 5 so did not collect more but they were really stunning in the wild colours.

Hi Deepak, they were caught in Cauvery.

random2
    Participant

QUOTE (Nikhil @ Feb 12 2011, 08:33 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Deepak, they were caught in Cauvery.

Thanks Nikhil,
    Its like a reminder for myself that I have to check my own backyard before venturing farther.
    Have to plan some short trips for Cauvery and Kabini

Matt
    Keymaster

Absolute crackers Nikhil. How big are they? Did you collect some ladies too?

Nikhil
    Participant

Hi Matt the gentlemen are in excess of 13cm no ladies this time but it might change tomorrow. The females are a plain silver with faint stripes.

Jarcave
    Participant

Nikhill, just out of interest, how do you catch them? Do you have pics of the waters you caught them in?

Nikhil
    Participant

Hi Jarcave,

These are caught with a cast net. The net holes are smaller than the size of the fish just to make sure we do not have any fish with gills stuck in the thread. We catch smaller loaches with
    either hand nets which have an outer rim made out of bent iron or use a nylon mosquito net as loaches can be of funny sizes but the smallest ones after being inspected for species. Its basically to make sure we do not miss any new species.

As for pics mate I am in the process of writing an article and then trying to print it in one of the magazines rather want to document each trip so that I can maybe publish them. Pics are scarce but maybe next time I will take some more pics and update this thread.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.