LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Bas In Administration

Home Forums The Lounge Bas In Administration

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  keith565 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Just been on the BAS website and this is on there:

Britains Aquatic Superstore – in Administration

The affairs, business and property of the company are being managed by the Joint Administrators. The Joint Administrators contract without personal liability.

Paul Andrew Flint is authorised to act as an insolvency practitioner by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales.

Brian Green is authorised to act as an insolvency practitioner by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales.

Does anyone have anymore info, Ive never exactly been their biggest fan but they do get some lovely and unusual fish in and it would be a real shame if the place ended up closing

Matt
    Keymaster

Bet they replace it with a Maidenhead Aquatics…

dunc
    Keymaster

Yeah, like MD, wasn’t a huge fan of BAS but the shop was biiig. It’s pretty sad to see them go in to administration and unfortunately I think it’s a sign of the times; recession et al.

keith565
    Participant

i’m not suprised, but still saddened. we went 2 weeks ago, got there with 15 mins to spare, and they turned the lights out on us.
    always had something in for everyone, lets hope it’s a better replacement, whoever it is.

coelacanth
    Participant

Half the fish we’ve seen in the UK wouldn’t have been here had it not been for BAS, they’ve contributed more to the hobby over the years than all the outlets of that previously-mentioned chain put together.
    Hope they manage to get through this, plenty of others have.

ncnc
    Participant

from what ive read they are in the hands of the receiver who is looking for someone to buy the remaining part of the business – they said there is over £1 million of stock remaining so i guess they are looking for a decent offer – will they get it in the economic climate? or would it just be easier for someone to ‘step into the shoes’ of the business once it closes? suppose it depends on how long they have got to find someone but theres not many out there who could fund this kind of buyout unfortunately.

dunc
    Keymaster

1 million in stock?! Jesus

ncnc
    Participant

ill see if i can find the link to the webiste

ncnc
    Participant

cant find it but £1 m sounds a lot but as well as the huge shop they were also a wholesaler of dry goods – bringing in chinese built stock as well under their own 5 star brand. they had trucks etc for delivery too. so added all up £1 million if its true sounds reasonable – i guess the administrators would count everything of value (ie shop – trucks etc) as stock for disposal purposes.

dunc
    Keymaster

Yeah they would. £1M isn’t *that* huge an amount in some contexts, especially for a shop that physically large, but still, for an aquatics/pets shop it’s pretty damn massive.

ncnc
    Participant

for a shop it would be but id guess a large propertion of that is wholesale dry goods – i used to buy off them and their list was pretty decent.

Eyrie
    Participant

[chartered accountant]Stock is goods for resale rather than vehicles and property which are classed as fixed assets.So it would include fish as well as dry goods.[/chartered accountant]

Does sound a lot, but difficult to say it would cause the problem without knowing a lot more information.

nmhilton71
    Participant

Only just clocked this thread. I was there days before the 05/09. Go on a regular basis, used to wag school and go up there with a mate back in the 80’s. Had some decent fish from them. Anybody got an update ? I seem to recall reading somewhere (within past year) the business had passed down a generation (or someone new had been brought in) ??

Bluedave
    Participant

Update guys – just been on the website and looks like they are under new management – appear to have a big angling section now?

I’ll be checking it out next week as I work in Bury so can get there on my lunch break (although I haven’t found time to visit yet in the year that we’ve been up here!) so i’ll let you know what I find.

keith565
    Participant

the last time i was down, just before the went bust, the angling section was taking over a vast amount of space on the ground floor. and the fish section had suffered emensly from lack of investment. lets hope the new owners get it back to the way it was, many of the first fish into the UK came through BAS.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.