LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta albimarginata?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Betta albimarginata?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Bluedave 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

My LFS has recently acquired these. They’re small, about an inch, and look thin to me. Are they indeed b albimarginata? I’m thinking about trying to pick out a pair.

Stefan

Yeah they are.

Matt
    Keymaster

Yup, and all the ones pictured are males.

Colin
    Participant

They will fatten up very quickly though, so dont be put off by that. As long as they are looking for food and seem healthy they will put on weight

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks for the input! The 3 pics are of 2 different fish. I think I saw a female in there but they’re in a heavily planted tank and don’t give many photo ops.

Plaamoo
    Participant

I’m wondering about the vast difference in coloration between the fish in these pics and the brilliantly colored fish that I see pictures of. I’m guessing that these are young fish, newly acquired, and not in the best of condition. Given proper conditions is it safe to assume that the fish in my pics will look like this at some point.

Also, do they typically only display these colors only when breeding? Thanks, Jim

Colin
    Participant

They will look like that when they have settled in and worked out a pecking order although usually it will only be the most dominant male (non brooding) that looks like that… brooding males generally go back to camouflage colours

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks Colin. If I get them I’ll just get a pair, hopefully. Or even just a male as i’m not sure there are any females at the shop. Would a single male be content on it’s own?

Colin
    Participant

Yeah I had a single male in with other species for quite a while and he just took “eating” as his hobby LOL

try and get a pair though, much more fun!!!

Matt
    Keymaster

If no females are available I’d go for two boys at least otherwise you’ll probably never see those lovely red colours Jim. Never kept B. albimarginata but with my group of B. channoides there was always at least one male displaying that patterning whether breeding or not.

Attached files

Stefan

Are you sure that’s channoides in your pic Matt? Looks more like albi to me…

hachge
    Participant

Yes same to me

Matt
    Keymaster

Lol – we had this discussion on Petfrd at the time and no-one could decide what they were…

Stefan

I say albi

Matt
    Keymaster

Cool.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.