LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta albimarginata/channoides…..m/f…?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Betta albimarginata/channoides…..m/f…?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Plaamoo 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

I’ve been wanting a pair of these for some time but my shop has only had males, so i’ve put it on hold. They’ve recently displayed pairs in seperate tanks of both albimarginata & chanoides. I’d like to confirm, if possible, that there is in fact a female in the pair, and while we’re at it, are they albimarginata & chanoides? They both look like albimarginata to me?? all four fish are about 1 1/4″ tl.

These are the albimarginata..
    male…

female. She does have white tipped pelvic fins though not visible in pic. They looked shorter than the males’.

Chanoides…..

Male….

Female….

I know the pics aren’t great. Taken in the fish shop.

Stefan

My 2 cents:

They all look like albi to me. Only photo 2 could be female.

oaken
    Participant

Yeah definitely albimarginatas all of them. I do however think that the last picture is of a female.

Stefan

QUOTE (oaken @ Apr 23 2011, 10:13 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yeah definitely albimarginatas all of them. I do however think that the last picture is of a female.

I was doubting about that one this morning but then decided it’s probably a male wearing shy colours. I’ve had males that looked like females when ‘not being in charge’.

Colin
    Participant

Yes, I’d say all albimarginata too, I would say that the last pic does look like a female but pic 2 is more typical…

Stefan

On thing I would pay attention to are the shop prices. I don’t know what it’s like over there but over here they are insane for both species so you’re better off getting some from a breeder or collector.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks much everyone! The fish in the last pic had distinct, dark vertical bars that came and went. It wouldn’t come out from its hiding place so couldn’t get a ggod pic.
    Stefan, you’re correct, they are expensive! $44.99 for the pair. I really can’t afford that right now but they’re hard to resist! I’ll keep looking for a breeder. Thanks again all.

Stefan

For 50 bucks I’d find it real easy to resist /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

But yeah; they are a wonderful fish to keep and breed (very easy!!) and great to look at!

C.Way
    Participant

2nd photo-female albimarginata

Last photo doubtful for me, since I’ve not seen a female albimarginata with black caudal banding before, the white banding of a male albimarginata does not go disappear even in dull coloration, lack of black coloration on the dorsal fin makes it complicated

All others-Obvious male betta albimarginata

Stefan

Difficult, really? I wonder why that is. In the past breeders, including myself, had to do nothing at all to get albi breeding, even both on a low and a neutral pH. I also found them equally intense in colour, as long as they are kept in a nicely decorated tank. I haven’t yet taken the pleasure of channoides – one day I will.

Plaamoo
    Participant

I’ve kept an eye out for several months now and so far this seems to be typical price. I can order them from their supplier for $15. each + $20-30. shipping, and who knows what i’ll get?? I’ve seen them in the US on aquabid(mostly in Indonesia), but in the same price range + shipping. I wouldn’t chance shipping unless it was from someone here that I was very confident about. I’ll keep looking.

Here’s a chanoides pair(look like albimarginata to me??) for $20. but by the time I get it, it will be more than $50. for sure.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc…&1304050206

Stefan

Yes that’s albi on Aquabid. I can see, and agree, that it would have to be someone you’d trust and that you’d know what species you’d be getting. The price you list is pretty steady wherever you look. They’re 20 Euro each here, in the shop and that’s absurd for a fish that does not even come with a locality attached (which are worth more in the associations).

C.Way
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Apr 23 2011, 11:30 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Difficult, really? I wonder why that is. In the past breeders, including myself, had to do nothing at all to get albi breeding, even both on a low and a neutral pH. I also found them equally intense in colour, as long as they are kept in a nicely decorated tank. I haven’t yet taken the pleasure of channoides – one day I will.

different region maybe, perhaps lack of dedicated hobbyist, temperature around my area are usually around 30 degree Celcius, as oppose to the cooler region of your’s /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Plaamoo
    Participant

Well, I finally took the plunge! I recently sold some rainbow fry & cherry shrimp and the money was burning a hole in my pocket

mikev
    Participant

Congratulations!

Now, breed them, sell them, and you will have a much stronger burning feeling

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.