LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta Fish + Unknown Companions

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Betta Fish + Unknown Companions

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Headdy
    Participant

I’m back…

Just to let you guys know, I was patient and let the big tank cycle – coming down from the ammonia high

I also bought three tiny companions for it, but unfortunately I can’t tell what they are – there was no name at the shop, and I was confused having tried to look it up.
    Anyone have any idea?

(I also used my mobile phone camera.

Attached files

keith565
    Participant

they look like young gold barbs to me. keep an eye on them as even the most placid of fish can have a habit of becoming a fin nipper when in with a male betta.

Matt
    Keymaster

I agree with Keith. Not the best tankmates for a fancy Betta for me either. Just to put the scientific name in for those interested, it’s Puntius semifasciolatus . Oh, and welcome back Headdy!

Malti
    Participant

better if you kept some corys or plecos with it…or maybe some shrimps but they might become snacks now and then

Headdy
    Participant

I wouldn’t have minded some shrimps, actually.

I did do some research beforehand on what to keep with a betta fish, but at the shop there was a betta fish in among a tank full of these other fish.

As for the betta, it seems shy and likes to hide inside one of the plants at the moment, but I fed it a nice big bug last night.

Richy
    Participant

nice veil tail betta you have there /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” /> Amano’s will be fine

Headdy
    Participant

QUOTE(Richy @ Jun 3 2008, 11:16 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    nice veil tail betta you have there

Matt
    Keymaster

Personally I’d take them back and try to get something that’s more suitable long-term. The problem with those barbs is that even if they don’t turn out to be fin-nippers they do grow to be quite big and boisterous and the Betta might struggle to compete. Hyphessobrycon amandae is a good alternative if the shop has them in stock.

Sofia

Wow, that is a lovely fish you have there! I like the colour. At least I can see him now properly, not like in your avatar picture /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

EDIT: And if the store doesn’t take your barbs back I’d be more than happy to take them off you

Headdy
    Participant

I’ve just called the pet shop in question, because it’s a bit too long to travel for a wasted journey.

They vaguely remember who I was nd the fish I bought. They told me that they didn’t sell any barbs, and that the fish I was sold were lemon tetras.

However, I’ve seen pictures of both lemon tetras and gold barbs, and I definitely have gold barbs.

Headdy
    Participant

I gave the barbs to a nearby aquarium (a branch of Maidenhead Aquatics, not very far from where I live). I didn’t trust the pet store to take them back.

In their place, I bought six neon yellow rasboras – I definitely knew rasboras could go with betta fish – and a Yamato/Amano shrimp. I also bought my first bag of live food, which was scary.

Richy
    Participant

they look NOTHING like Lemon Tetra’s /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” /> Alot of shrimps tend to molt their exoskeleton within a few days of being in new water so don’t be suprised if you think you have a dead shrimp, it’s probably the exoskeleton /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    We were all newbies once and we’re always learning no matter how much we know /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” /> Yes I know i could use the database

dunc
    Keymaster

Rasbora einthovenii? I know it as the “Brilliant Rasbora” too, though don’t seem to see it too often. Not very yellowy though!

I’ll be honest I don’t test my water a great deal, last night was the first time I have in a long while. It’s a good habit to get in to, especially if you’re new to fishkeeping, as it can help you remedy “diseases” which are actually born from poor water conditions.

Matt
    Keymaster

Be interesting to see what these rasboras turn out to be. I’m plumping for R. pauciperforata.

Headdy
    Participant

They look a lot like this:

The aquarium I went to was the only one I’ve seen that had rasboras.

Attached files

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.