LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta macrostoma update

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Betta macrostoma update

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  pablito 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Colin
    Participant

Hi,

It’s been a pretty productive year for the Betta macrostoma I have so thought I’d give a wee update.

I now have two pretty good regular pairs of fish breeding away and fry of various ages and sizes…

A male – brooding again and due to spit out this week… he is still in with last month’s fry and the female so I am interested to see if the older fry will annoy these new fry?

Female at the top of the tank and month old fry, male in the cave

20mm long fry

50mm fry and almost 6 months old

and a wee update on how the Parasphaerichthys tank looks now

and the new toy is………….

cheers

Matt
    Keymaster

I see it’s going to take you a while to get the hang of that lens.

pablito
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 20 2011, 04:01 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I see it’s going to take you a while to get the hang of that lens. /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

S’ok they’re rubbish. /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

oaken
    Participant

Nice. Well done!

Colin
    Participant

LOL rubbish eh?

just wait til i’ve had it longer than an afternoon

Bully
    Participant

Jealous of it all! Jealous of the fish, the lens, the setup and the quality of the pictures /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (Bully @ Sep 20 2011, 08:46 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Jealous of it all! Jealous of the fish, the lens, the setup and the quality of the pictures /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

of course
    and that’s only human

Nikhil
    Participant

Thats looking great Colin. Tell me something. When I was in Glasgow at that time you had about what 2 pairs? If I remember you tried pretty much everything you could to get the male to hold but never. What do you think did the trick now? Were those wild or from Allan brown? Are these fish wild?

TorbenL

Nice toy..nice fish..great pics …no envy (almost)

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Looking great #full of envy# hahahaaa … Great looking Neph too

C.Way
    Participant

QUOTE (Haji Badaruddin @ Oct 2 2011, 10:57 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Looking great #full of envy# hahahaaa … Great looking Neph too /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

seems like these days, success with Mac is getting more and more common as compared to few years back when people still craving to keep them alive

pablito
    Participant

at long last a pair of ours spawned yesterday. They got down to it at 10.35am., which was very kind as it meant we could watch the whole session. Erica, one of our students, filmed some parts of the proceedings on her phone, therefore we’re hoping to post that today. Hopefully she’s had a chance to tidy it up last night. ‘Twas a privilege to see.

Both male and female are carrying. Is this common or not?

Colin
    Participant

Sorry i missed this earlier!!!

how’s it going now? Still have a brooding male?

The female may keep a hold of some eggs if the male is “full” or starts to swim off but she wont usually hold them through the first night

cheers
    Colin

pablito
    Participant

been depressed all day so it was only your mail Colin that prompted me to come here today.
    Both lots of eggs had disappeared by yesterday. Additionally the 12 that we’d collected that hadn’t been collected by either fish and that we had over an air stone in a perforated container, fungussed.
    We suspect that perhaps the eggs hadn’t been fertilised but it’s difficult to know.
    They’ve now been seperated to re-condition them and we’ll try again soon.
    We’re gutted and we also can’t get Erica’s great snatch of video to upload from her blackberry.
    Any help on that front would be appreciated from the community. The vid can’t be opened with any of the usual media players.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.