LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta patoti

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  C.Way 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

C.Way
    Participant

Betta Patoti, my first hand in big fella from Unimac group, settling them:

Most images from the net was rather disappointing, first look at a video from friend’s handphone change my mind of these “boring fella”, next thing as you know, the wild betta virus addiction(yet again#@%$*)…

First glance, two fish in plastic bag, two bigger fella that can match the size of B. Pugnax “Johor” I’ve kept before, get them into a plastic container for introduction to their new home(styrofoam in my backyard with constant temperature of 27 degree celcius)

After 15 second, saw the masking of male start glowing as well as the turquish coloration coating the head till the body, with anal pattern coming out as well as the 100% caudal banding(unlike classical wildies with lower half blueish banding, this fella has got turquish banding that surround entire caudal, shining)…

and let’s just see how it goes, first stint with a member of Unimac group

Colin
    Participant

Great fish

They were my first unimac group fish too and one I will have again for sure! I found them a bit difficult to get the male to hold full term but got there eventually!

more pics please

C.Way
    Participant

haha, the male brood after a day of introduction, thanks to my curiousness, I disturbed it and the next day was it’s out to gobble down some foods…

will see when I’m free to spend long hour with them, having my exam period at the moment, busy nerding

Stefan

Congrats! They sure look like a nice fish! His eating does not neccesarily mean he stopped brooding: my pallifina, ideii and everything else always ate during mouthbrooding. – Welcome to Betta-fever…

Mark N
    Participant

The big mouthbrooding Bettas are fantastic fish and yours look great! The males sometimes take a few goes before realising they shouldn’t eat the eggs. This has happened to me quite often; come to think of it, I’ve never had Betta mouthbrooders go to term /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” /> )

Colin
    Participant

I think that mostly comes down to three things –

1) That the tank should be as peaceful as possible for them. When I spot a mouthbrooding unimac-group fish or a repeat egg eating offender, I will keep them dark and even cover the front of the tank. Plenty pipes and caves etc

2) That the water conditions have not suited the eggs for some reason either during the spawning or during the brooding stage and they die off so he eats them or spits them out. Need clean water with low bacteria count for the unimacs.

3) An inexperienced male.

With channoides I have found they do better around pH 4 (where bacteria cant live) and keep the tank quite dark.

Exceptions to above are notable with pugnax fish where they even spawn in a bare bottom, empty tank, with another twenty or so fish cruising around!

Stefan

When my ideii were brooding I’d have no problems with keeping the lights on, sticking my arms in and mess about their tank, do water changes etc. I could even touch the brooding male.

Colin
    Participant

…but then you always have planted/decorated tanks in a dimly lit room and no kids running about lol

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ Jun 9 2011, 01:26 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    …but then you always have planted/decorated tanks in a dimly lit room and no kids running about lol

Right as rain. The room has a ceiling light (which is always off) and a big window (which’ curtain is always drawn). Yes; decorated tanks is the way it should be, I believe, if you want a fish to feel happy and show his normal behaviour and colouration – I wouldn’t be happy living in an empty house for years either

C.Way
    Participant

thanks for the input, I’m sure it’ll be helpful for me to spawn them /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

by the way, for mouth brooder that goes on swallowing eggs, from my personal experience, 3rd point from Colin apply to me, where by my previous B. Albimarginata male(my F1 captive bred) failed for about 5 times before it’s first success, I’ve since sold it to a friend who recently told me the male succeed again, I guess some times experience do count /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Will be heading to a formal reserve jungle for Pugnax fishing over the weekend near my house, will update some photos of the habitat soon

Matt
    Keymaster

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

C.Way
    Participant

just checked on them, male brooding again, this time more defensive, although it saw foods, it’s striking is more towards pushing foods away instead of joining the feast with the female, at the moment will leave them alone for a week

Colin
    Participant

Good luck

C.Way
    Participant

A photo a day before, the male is wondering if I’m going to steam it or fry it XD

Nikhil
    Participant

This is a crappy pic of Colin’s Betta patoti. Loved these fish and they were massive. Missed keeping them as my six juveniles decided to explore the outdoors from a half cm hole. All the best with your fish.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.