LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta pi

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Colin 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Colin
    Participant

Got ten of these this last week and posting some pics here to see if they really are pi or another of the waseri complex. They are a great fish and such a pity that the large Bettas get overlooked by many.

If these are pi then the fish I kept as pi a few years back were not pi as they look very different.

Just for information; members of the waseri complex have different markings on their chin and can help with ID. It’s how pi gets its name or for example renata which means kidney as it has a kidney shape etc

male top female bottom

lets see what people think

Stefan

Yep, pi. In regard to your previous pi; the throat marking are not a vast shape/symbol so I don’t find them really good for making IDs (in life, in death it’s different) /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

Colin
    Participant

I’ll need to dig out old pics! I think these ones have different markings on the opercule too – either way they are a cool fish!

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ Feb 19 2011, 04:12 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I’ll need to dig out old pics! I think these ones have different markings on the opercule too – either way they are a cool fish! /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” /> 1 word: pardalotos…

Colin
    Participant

yeah i get it lol /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ Feb 19 2011, 04:51 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    yeah i get it lol /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” /> /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

robert
    Participant

Hi
    nice col,another good find.how big do they get.
    And what is the largest species of betta?
    Rob

Colin
    Participant

these ones are getting on for about 100mm TL. The biggest Bettas I have ever seen were Betta renata and they were just HUGE compared. I would guess my largest one was about 180 – 200mm TL?

Stefan, what do you think?

Stefan

I think it’s a close call between renata and anabatoides/midas, both nearing 200 mm TL. pi get to about 120 – 140 mm TL in my experience.

robert
    Participant

hi
    the markings on these betta pi are really cool,they look to have a bronze shimmer effect on their bodies,ive fancied a larger betta for awhile now,i will have a butchers at the betta renata aswell.
    i have heard of a betta called gladiator?is this a species or just a trade name?
    rob

Stefan

QUOTE (robert @ Feb 19 2011, 08:31 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    hi
    the markings on these betta pi are really cool,they look to have a bronze shimmer effect on their bodies,ive fancied a larger betta for awhile now,i will have a butchers at the betta renata aswell.
    i have heard of a betta called gladiator?is this a species or just a trade name?
    rob

It’s an actual species, ‘gladiator’ is Latin after all. Rare species.

Colin
    Participant

Rob, you wont find renata anywhere… The only ones that I know of are in Europe and descendents of the ones that Stefan and I had. Hopefully I will get some this year though! Such a shame as I spread over 100 youngsters about and no-one seems to have bred them or kept them going in the UK

Betta anabatoides were big, mostly long – just not as chunky as a waseri

Colin
    Participant

Incidentally, is it a quirk of the forum to change all words in the title into the first letter being a capital? I carefully wrote pi not Pi as I realised this with the Devario thread I started

robert
    Participant

cheers
    and i thought gladiator was russel crowe! /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

Stefan

Ironic…when I started with pi in 2003 everyone was laughing at me (literally). Nowadays they’re sought-after and not easy to get. And yes; I had a few chuckles about that

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.