LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta rubra and B. dennisyongi

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Betta rubra and B. dennisyongi

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  hachge 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

It might be interesting to know who’s got or has had what following the publication of Dr. Tan’s new paper:

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/new-betta-species-from-sumatra-described/

coelacanth
    Participant

Looks like the ones here are true rubra, they only have a narrow “chinstrap”.

Colin
    Participant

How long have you had that colony going Pete? I think it was 2008 when you and I first got our original “rubra” and I agree that what  I had then, and you still have, is the real Betta rubra.

I am also pretty sure that what I have had since 2010 are actually Betta dennisyongi.

coelacanth
    Participant

Was late 07 according to the dates on the first spawning images, maybe Sept/Oct when they arrived. 

Matt
    Keymaster

Has anyone ever seen the two species mixed in shipments?

Colin
    Participant

right, i knew it was approximately about then – I got mine from France in April 08

No idea Matt, wasn’t looking for any differences but I did notice that the 2010 fish and onwards did very poorly in a pH lower than 6.5 and I used to keep them about neutral. The early rubra didnt do as well near neutral but I found to be harder to keep/breed. I’d also say that in my opinion the earlier rubra were prettier fish, with better colours… I’ll stick my neck out here and say that I think that they are both rubra, just from a different locality.

What is the actual distance between rubra and dennisyongi or are they saying that they are always side by side?

Stefan

Colin, I kept my 2006 rubra in water with a pH ranging from 3.5 to 6.5, and they were happy in all of it.

Matt
    Keymaster

In the B. dennisyongi description it says the two species might even be syntopic but this is unconfirmed.

Could the earlier fish in the trade have been wild, later ones captive-bred by any chance?

hachge
    Participant

I remember the wild fish I received from Indonesia they were very colorful and prefered aciic water around 4.0 5.5 pH.In 2010 we received new fish we called Rubra diadem as they had a mark on the head and much less color than the 2007 population called Aceh.The fish prefered clear water around 6 pH.

Colin
    Participant

Hi Herve

your findings are the same as mine and indeed my first ever Betta rubra came from you at Zwolle!

:)

coelacanth
    Participant

Fairly sure the rubra here would do fine in a bucket of urine. There’s been the odd jumper into an adjacent aquarium of very different water conditions, they just get on with it, they’re eay to see because they come begging for food.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Herve, with the less colourful ones being the new species?

hachge
    Participant

Yes they are  but to me they are probably just a new population

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.