LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta Rubra Have Spawned

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Betta Rubra Have Spawned

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

keith565
    Participant

well i’ll be blowed.lol
    i went into the fish house this morning to see the dominant male with a huge mouthfull of eggs. now this is the first spawn, so i’m not to worried about the eggs disapearing. but i’m sooooo happy the are spawning.
    i don’t want to risk taking pics at the mo. but will get some pics when i can.

Malti
    Participant

I’d say forget the pics mate, let him be, and then give us a pic of the fry

Richy
    Participant

good sign either way whether the survive or not. Good luck mate and hopefully some will make it

keith565
    Participant

thanks guys, but i have a dilemma. the incubation on this betta is about 10-12 days, shorter than many other mouthbrooders. and he is due to release the fry while i’m away on holiday. so what do i do. i usually remove the other fish, but as i wasn’t expecting the spawn so soon, i don’t have a spare tank to move them into. i hate moving brooding males as many often spit or swallow the eggs. so any ideas guys. i leave my channoides in the main tank and fish the fry out. the other mouthbrooders i leave the fry i as the adults don’t seem to bother them. even the edithae have loads of fry with them? any thoughts?

Jarcave
    Participant

Congratulations Keith. Looking forward to the pics.

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (Jarcave @ Aug 12 2008, 09:15 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Congratulations Keith. Looking forward to the pics.

Matt
    Keymaster

Keith I used to do the same as you with channoides and as you know it works fine. I´d hoy in as much plant-life as you have spare and let them take their chances while you´re away. Superb news by the way mate!!! /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

keith565
    Participant

cheers guys. i think i will do as you say Matt. rather than stress him out by moving him to a smaller tank.
    will let you know when i get back.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Congrats Keith

dunc
    Keymaster

Any news Keith?

keith565
    Participant

just got back yesterday.
    have managed to get into the fish house for a quick look this morning and seen a swarm of rubra fry, gave up counting after 20. problem is i can see only one adult. looks like the chap who has been looking after them hasn’t closed the glass lids properly and i’m thinking the others have jumped, so some good news and some not so good news.

dunc
    Keymaster

Ahh no, I hope that isn’t the case

Malti
    Participant

welcome back keith…sorry about the adults, but great about the fry.

mickthefish
    Participant

Keith, it won’t be long before your fry are going at it like rabbits, the ones at bolton museum are at it all the time mate.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Nightmare Keith. /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.