LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta Sp. 'mahachai' Is A Distinct Species

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Betta Sp. 'mahachai' Is A Distinct Species

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Martin Tversted 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

This undescribed species lives in brackish water and a new genetic study suggests it’s distinct although the authors stop short of officially naming it. It also seems there may be at least two other undescribed Betta species existing in Thailand which would previously have been referred to B. smaragdina!

C.Way
    Participant

it’s quite controversial about b. mahachai or what ever betta from the splenden group in thailand as most of them have been hybridized for fighting purposes, read an article sometimes ago that mahachai is a hybrid between b. imbellis and b. smaragdina…

Colin
    Participant

QUOTE (C.Way @ Jul 1 2010, 03:43 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    it’s quite controversial about b. mahachai or what ever betta from the splenden group in thailand as most of them have been hybridized for fighting purposes, read an article sometimes ago that mahachai is a hybrid between b. imbellis and b. smaragdina…

well, this article goes some way in trying to explain the differences but i think that most people who have kept the fish would think it a species in its own right.

generally i am a lumper though and wonder if the smaragdina group needs split?

Matt I kept and bred them from 05 to 08, none just now as they were a species to go when it came to thinning down for moving house. Have some pics though

C.Way
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Jul 2 2010, 12:54 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    well, this article goes some way in trying to explain the differences but i think that most people who have kept the fish would think it a species in its own right.

generally i am a lumper though and wonder if the smaragdina group needs split?

Matt I kept and bred them from 05 to 08, none just now as they were a species to go when it came to thinning down for moving house. Have some pics though

it’s reasonable that a species has it’s own right, but how can we justify it to be a purely natural fish rather than a hybrid that developed over time, looking at it’s close cousin, the splenden, can we get pure splenden today?(hybridizing, releasing in different pool of water or selective breeding for several hundred years made it something else to me) The splenden family is kind of a mess to me, that’s why I given up collecting the entire family

hopefully it all gone right

oaken
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve been keeping it for a while. Does well in freshwater and is easy to breed. Very beautiful fish too

Matt
    Keymaster

Has anyone tried keeping it in brackish water?

Martin Tversted
    Participant

I have the sp Mahachai. Not sure why to keep it in brakish water?

Easy species.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.