LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta Sp. palangkaraya

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Betta Sp. palangkaraya

This topic contains 52 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  oaken 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author

oaken
    Participant

Figured I’d make a topic here and contribute with my pictures of this new and interesting species.

Here’s a male:

And heres a dominant female:

The stripes that are visible on the females body are actually quite visible on the males too, depending on the mode of course. Which is something I find quite interesting. Haven’t really seen that before.

Matt
    Keymaster

Matt
    Keymaster

Here it is:

Attached files

oaken
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 11 2009, 02:01 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Here it is:

Hm, so there is an undescribed species from Tangkiling? I always thought that was just a foerschi.

Btw, did you get any wiser on how to tell mandor and foerschi apart yet?

Matt
    Keymaster

Well according to the Linke article it is a separate, undescribed ‘species’ based on the female patterning as above, the shape of the caudal fin in males and body colouration. Stefan also believes this is so but also expressed some reservations about whether this group should be separated at all because they’re all so similar.

According to the article the main differences are:

B. foerschi; caudal fin rounded and unpointed with predominantly blue/green colouration in the body.
    B sp. ‘Tangkiling’; caudal fin rounded with a slight point and more red/brown colouration in the body.
    B. strohi; extended rays in the upper part of the caudal fin with an iridescent border.
    B. mandor; extended central rays in the caudal fin with darker, but less intense, blue/green body colouration.

retro_gk
    Participant

Saw the thread on petfrd as well. I’m just going to stick my neck out and say the fish in the OP is closer to B. foerschi than anything from the coccina complex.

oaken
    Participant

Two pictures that shows the fins better. Here you can also see the spots in the fins

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Stunning fish Oaken

Daspricey
    Participant

Fantastic photos of beautiful fish!

oaken
    Participant

Thanks

Matt
    Keymaster

Now I can see the spots are blue.

oaken
    Participant

Betta sp. “Sengalang, Palangkaraya” I think. And yeah go ahead and use whatever pictures you want

Matt
    Keymaster

Awesome, cheers.

oaken
    Participant

Yeah

Jit
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 12 2009, 11:05 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well according to the Linke article it is a separate, undescribed ‘species’ based on the female patterning as above, the shape of the caudal fin in males and body colouration. Stefan also believes this is so but also expressed some reservations about whether this group should be separated at all because they’re all so similar.

According to the article the main differences are:

B. foerschi; caudal fin rounded and unpointed with predominantly blue/green colouration in the body.
    B sp. ‘Tangkiling’; caudal fin rounded with a slight point and more red/brown colouration in the body.
    B. strohi; extended rays in the upper part of the caudal fin with an iridescent border.
    B. mandor; extended central rays in the caudal fin with darker, but less intense, blue/green body colouration.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.