LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta sp. Sabangau, Sengalang, Palangkaraya

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Betta sp. Sabangau, Sengalang, Palangkaraya

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  oaken 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
  • Author

Stefan

The peat swamp area they’re likely to be found from. Source: http://www.wikimedia.org

They can go by either of the above 3 labels, so I chose to list all 3. I, for one, cannot wait to read the description on this one because new coccina group fishes are rarely discovered these days!

The pair pictured above are wild and received shortly after their discovery in 2009 by Linke et al. They seem to have been imported once or twice back then (?) but never again after so wild ones might have become a bit of a rarity in the hobby today?

I have 1 trio left (1m + 2f) and they taunt me: they spawn once or twice a week at least but shortly after the eggs are gone. I’m thinking of setting up a seperate breeding tank for a pair and then remove one or both parents after spawning.

C.Way
    Participant

wow, amazing piece of ruby, Coccina group betta are simply small and beautiful /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

oaken
    Participant

Nice pictures. I only have F1’s left, 1 male + 3 females. Need to put the male and one of the females in their own tank though. I had a problem similar to the one you describe with persephone, they would spawn but the eggs never seemed to hatch. Or maybe they did, I couldn’t get a close look at the nest. Either way I didn’t get any fry.

But yeah, there was an import to Sweden but haven’t seen them on the lists since then. Don’t see them on Aquabid anymore either, where they used to be quite common.

Stefan

@ C.Way: Thanks! Yeah this species is really beautiful!

@ Oaken: I forgot to add that not only the eggs are gone, but the nest will be destroyed or completely gone. then he builds a nest at a different place a few days later and so he moves about the tank.

I don’t find them anywhere anymore either. That’s why I’m so happy I’ve still got mine – now some F1s would be a nice gift of nature.

Humunuku
    Participant

I’ve kept this species since 2009, but it was not until this year that I got them to reproduce.
    I started out with one wild pair, but nothing happened and I lost the female after a while.
    Then I got hold of a group of F1’s and placed them with the wild male in a 40 cm wide tank with sand and peat substrate, oak- and catappaleaves, bogwood, and a thick layer of Heteranthera zosterifolia and Ceratophyllum demersum. I placed a heater on 26C. After a while i doscovered a nest next to the heater, and now theres fry. It looks like the adults does not predate young ones.
    In my case the “stop waiting for it and it wil eventually happen” worked.

Stefan

Hey that sounds great; well done and let us know how you get on please. I’m setting up a spawning tank for them today: 40 x 30 x 30cm, low water level, lots of leaves on the bottom, a big floating plant and a tube. I’ll start by removing the female after spawning and see how that goes. I’m aiming for a pH around 4.5; what pH do you have Humunuku? Do you use peat granules for substrate or another form?

oaken
    Participant

Nice to hear about more people still keeping them. Would be nice to read the old thread on petfrd about them. I recall the water I used the first time I bred them had a pH slightly over 5, and I’ve always found it unecessary to go any lower. However it could possibly affect eggs getting attacked by fungus etc. in some cases? That is, if the pH isn’t low enough. Just thinking out loud here. But I think your tank sounds good, Stefan

Colin
    Participant

I think that Herve still has some that I sent him a couple years ago and possibly Auke too? I also think that Heinrich Bayer has some breeding??? I have never seen them for sale since that time I got them from Singapore in 2009 – shame!

Stefan

@ Oaken: Yeah that pH would do great as well. My current batch of peat just lowers it to at least 4.5 so why not make use of that, I thought. I’ve bred them at 3.5 as well /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” /> I think Auke’s only got 1 Betta left and that isn’t this one. He’s not keeping many fish anymore aside from a few Channa. I’m almost the only Dutchman left.

When I’ve finally succesfully raised some more from this current project I’ll box you some Colin.

Colin
    Participant

yeah cool – was one of those species that i regretted selling as soon as they were all gone!

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ Apr 23 2011, 05:31 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    yeah cool – was one of those species that i regretted selling as soon as they were all gone!

Why did you? That was indeed a shame.

Colin
    Participant

just buying and selling them on – expecting fry back at some point lol

hachge
    Participant

Hello you all
    I have 9 adults fish a pair WF I bought in Indonesia with 8/10 sub adult fish and from your fish Colin about 20 youngs.In convention no one wanted these fish so i keep them like all the small red Bettas and some pairs eat the fry some other one no.No agressivity even at 26/27
    C.Nice fish easy to keep.

Colin
    Participant

Wow, I can’t believe no one wanted them at the IGL!

Stefan

@ Colin: I’m doing my best here

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.