LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta Splendens

Home Forums My Aquarium Betta Splendens

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Malti 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Amy
    Participant

after taking out 2 of my bettas to stop them fighting(i thought i had 4 girls) who are now happily living at duncs, the two left in my tank have laid eggs, I know they might not hatch as it’s the first attempt for this pair.

I got home and in the middle of the bubbles there are little white dots, I watched one fall and the male caught it in his mouth and then put in back in the bubbles but knocking more eggs down.

In the profile here it says to breed them to put them into a seperate tank but since they have already bred do i keep the eggs in the main tank with the male female and 4 panda corys or move them, put a breeding trap around it or take out the other fish.

I’m gonna try and get some pics up tonight.

mickthefish
    Participant

Amy you know them tupperware dishes they work great in scooping the eggs and nest up and they can stay floating in the main tank.
    you’ll need lots of infusoria to start of with and then loads of baby brine shrimp.
    Karlos will give you the lowdown on how cannibalistic they are.

Malti
    Participant

I’d suggest taking out the other fish if possible asap as the male and female might think they’re snacks…I usually remove the female right after spawn and the male after 3 days – if u remove the male asap use some anti-fungal. (also its difficult to move all the nest)

the cories should be removed as fry tend to linger at the bottom and as they’d be miniscule they’d get eaten, also a low water level is needed as fry have problems with high levels of water mainly due to pressure. Also keep a lid on as different air temperature can compromise their labyrinth organ

start feeding 2 days/3 days after and I’d suggest infusoria and microworms – after 1 month u can start microworms and atisons betta fry food. good luck with them see here also

mickthefish
    Participant

hey Karlos, i’ve never had a problem scooping the nest up of any of the small anabantids, as long as you prefill the container half way then dip it near the nest it just slipped into the dish.

Amy
    Participant

I’ve just got home and they’ve hatched, the dads lookin after them and chasing all the other fish in the tank, I’ve turned the filter off and cover the tank with cling film.

should i leave the tank as it is and be more prepared for the next time they breed,borrow one of duncs tanks, and give the dad some experience from this time.

dunc tried to get pics but theres algae in the way.

Amy
    Participant

i’ve moved all the fish except the male to duncs now

Matt
    Keymaster

Depends on how much control you want over the situation Amy. If you want to raise a full brood then it’d be better to remove them yep. Good fun this fishkeeping lark isn’t it?

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Sep 26 2008, 05:06 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    hey Karlos, i’ve never had a problem scooping the nest up of any of the small anabantids, as long as you prefill the container half way then dip it near the nest it just slipped into the dish. /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” />

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Amy @ Sep 26 2008, 05:34 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i’ve moved all the fish except the male to duncs now

and get ready to move the dad by saturday evening/sunday morning…are there alot?

dunc
    Keymaster

There seems to be a fair few of them. Will the male be alright to go back in with the female come Sunday, Malti?

Malti
    Participant

yeah he should be ok, just feed him some extra bloodworms to make up for the fatherhood stress

Amy
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Sep 26 2008, 06:05 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    yeah he should be ok, just feed him some extra bloodworms to make up for the fatherhood stress

Amy
    Participant

and theres loads of them at least 20 swimming around the top and i have dark sand so there may be a few camouflaged against it.

Matt
    Keymaster

Are you using cling film because the tank doesn’t have any other cover Amy? If so then yeah keep it on.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 28 2008, 11:46 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Are you using cling film because the tank doesn’t have any other cover Amy? If so then yeah keep it on. /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

got microworms/bbs?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.