LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Betta Splendens Fry

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Betta Splendens Fry

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  dunc 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

dunc
    Keymaster

Amy has about 25 fighter fry. Most of them seem ok, but she has a couple (as you can see below) that look very strange. From seeing the photos it looks to me like they just have clamped fins, but I do wonder if it could be something else.

Any help appreciated

Attached files

Amy
    Participant

the fishies with the pointy tails are biger than fish with normal tails, so they’re definitely getting food

Matt
    Keymaster

Almost surely deformed guys but that’s to be expected among most batches of fry. Stingers rays are a good example. Sorry to be harsh but I’d be tempted to destroy them…

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Most likely deformed to me ….. But to be safe maybe can separate the fry and treat them …… just in case they have clamped fins.

Amy
    Participant

QUOTE (Haji Badaruddin @ Dec 11 2008, 05:01 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Most likely deformed to me ….. But to be safe maybe can separate the fry and treat them …… just in case they have clamped fins.

How would I treat them?

dunc
    Keymaster

I don’t think she’ll destroy them – she’s too attached /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” /> Poor things!

Malti
    Participant

what diet are they on? and how much water changes do u do and what percentage?

dunc
    Keymaster

Mostly just dry foods from RM (was that the name? I forget) and frozen cyclops. Water changes tend to be once a week, 25%.

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

QUOTE (Amy @ Dec 11 2008, 06:01 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    How would I treat them?

Me … i just use yellow powder with some rock salt to the tank.Some of my friends up the temperature to speed the curing process.Usually recover 3 – 5 days depend on the severity of the disease.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (dunc @ Dec 11 2008, 02:22 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Mostly just dry foods from RM (was that the name? I forget) and frozen cyclops. Water changes tend to be once a week, 25%.

try upping the diet up with some bloodworms, or maybe some chicken liver cut in very small pieces (it tends to foul up the water, so do it couple of hours before waterchane) – whats RM?

and water changes should be ideally 1/2 twice weekly for now. also up the temp to 28C and add some aquarium salts – unless its genetic water quality maybe the main issue

Amy
    Participant

QUOTE (dunc @ Dec 11 2008, 10:19 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I don’t think she’ll destroy them – she’s too attached /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” /> Poor things!

I’ll be a fish Occupational Therapist & look after them /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

thelizzious

This may sound very stupid, but I wonder if it could be genetic. I have no clue if fish siblings pair and get deformed youngsters, nor the number you get figuring out their chromosones (God, I hope I said that correctly), maybe it’s one in 10 or even more, fish fry that could have been expected to get deformation. I may ofcourse be way way off course, ofcourse. It’s just a thought, (and thoughts can be changed) Good luck, Amy!

dunc
    Keymaster

All of these guys are around an inch in length now.. and there’s not a single deformity to be seen.

Either the deformed fish have died, which I doubt as they were the biggest of the group, or they were just clamped after all.

They’re all doing really well, really starting to display their colours now. I think there’s about 40.

thelizzious

That’s good news. Good luck!

Matt
    Keymaster

Cool.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.