LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Bio Balls

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  ulosky 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ulosky

hi just a little think, marine tank with live rock.i have a trickle filter sump with bio balls,can some one tell me are the bio balls redundant, because of the live rock is the sole filtration.

Colin
    Participant

Good question!

There are a lot of variables to consider first…

There is a ratio of of kg of Live Rock per litre of aquarium water versus amount of livestock in the tank. Most LR only tanks are reef tanks and even something like a 4 footer will only have a couple of fish. I think that the majority of LR tanks with no filter will still be running a skimmer but that is worth checking.

people prefer a LR only filter compared to a bioballs filter because in theory the anaerobic areas inside the LR should also remove nitrate which a BB filter cannot – In fact a BB filter produces a lot nitrate.

However, if your tank is already running then the BB filter will be helping to maintain your tank and removing the BBs will cause a bacterial crash so not advised, unless you can stage the removal some how?

so, in short no they are not redundant

cheers
    Colin

Colin
    Participant

also… the live rock needs to be very clean of debris, so LR only tanks usually have no substrate, have the rocks stacked with spaces between, with bloody big powerheads to allow free powerful water movement!

ulosky

QUOTE (Colin @ Feb 18 2012, 09:47 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    also… the live rock needs to be very clean of debris, so LR only tanks usually have no substrate, have the rocks stacked with spaces between, with bloody big powerheads to allow free powerful water movement!

thanks colin, that has cleared up a lot of understandin how the system works .

Author
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.