LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Biotoecus sp. 'rio Negro'

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Biotoecus sp. 'rio Negro'

This topic contains 30 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  a.d.wood 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

coelacanth
    Participant

When I heard that Pier Aquatics was getting some of these lovelies in I just had to take a look, and within a few minutes out came the wallet. I’ve picked up 2 pairs (hopefully), they’re in quarantine at the mo. and they’ll then be going into a dedicated tank with sand substrate, few leaves, maybe a few tetras (Odontocharacidium aphanes if I can get any) and leave them to get on with it.

Sojapat

Hey Pete took a photo so people can see…
    Not hijacking

MatsP
    Participant

Neil & Pete,

Nice looking fish.

Neil: Do you reccon you’ll still have some in two weeks time? How much are they? I’m up that part of the world to pick up a couple of 4ft tanks and see what turns up at the CSG auction…

Then perhaps another visit towards/after Christmas…

Mats

Sojapat

Hi Matts , They are on at £16 per pc .
    You need to see them to get the real fish.
    I have 30 ish of them.. /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” /> stunning

Matt
    Keymaster

Mmm lovely, kept B. opercularis for a few months but never got them up to breeding age before leaving England. Me wants to try again!

How do you know it isn’t B. opercularis though? Type locality is Manaus I think.

coelacanth
    Participant

I can say for sure that these look different from the Biotoecus I’ve had in the past (which I assumed were B. opercularis, still have pictures of them), these have much more colour, and look more elongate (certainly the males). They’re also different from the few shipments I’ve seen in the past in that they are all alive and look to be likely to stay that way..
    I can still remember seeing these listed at 98DM each on a list (tells you how long ago that was!).
    Looking around the forums, it seems that there’s quite a bit of debate about ID of fish in this genus, others mention having kept fish similar to those I’ve had in the past. Then there’s a Tapajos fish, dicentrarchus of course and an “upper Rio Negro” form mentioned.
    Not really got past the point of gazing at them and dribbling about “my precious”, I’ll have a proper look at them and take a look at the descriptions later.

Just have to hope no Teleocichla show up, that’ll really rattle my conkers.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers for the info Pete.

coelacanth
    Participant

I had a spawning waiting for me when I got home last night, the underside of a leaf was virtually covered in eggs, huge number for such a slender cichlid. Now to wait and see if the male did his part.

Matt
    Keymaster

Great stuff. We must buy you a new camera and leggy assistant to operate it.

coelacanth
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 11 2011, 10:47 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Great stuff. We must buy you a new camera and leggy assistant to operate it.

Yeah, Paul’s OK but he’s not quite the same thing…

coelacanth
    Participant

Eggs hatched, little pile of wrigglers under a leaf, interesting behaviour though from the female, will explain when I get the chance.

Matt
    Keymaster

Sweet! We need pics, señor.

Will the fry stay in there once free-swimming?

coelacanth
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 13 2011, 10:16 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Will the fry stay in there once free-swimming?

Not long term for sure, tank isn’t big enough. They’ll stay there long enough to watch broodcare behaviour, then I’ll rear them on elsewhere and distribute them. As this is the first spawning, there’s always a chance that it won’t get that far, but not too worried, they’ll go again.
    After a couple of spawnings I’ll be looking for something else, short attention sp……..

coelacanth
    Participant

Well, this morning the female and male had obviously completely gone their separate ways, she was being chased away from the spawning site and wasn’t attempting to guard anything. I found one fry under a leaf just on the verge on becoming free-swimming, so will give that a chance in a small tub.
    C’est la vie.

Matt
    Keymaster

Downer.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.