LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Biotoecus sp. 'rio Negro'

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Biotoecus sp. 'rio Negro'

This topic contains 30 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  a.d.wood 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

coelacanth
    Participant

I think the picture may have been misleading, the eggs were all hidden under the leaf but you can see the reflection of some of them on the tank base. Moot point now anyway, when I got home she’d carried on digging, undermined the edges of the leaf and knackered up all that hard work, the few eggs that were left got nobbled over the course of the evening.
    Time for a rethink, some pices of waterlogged bark instead of leaves may make for more stable caves to be built.

coelacanth
    Participant

Spawmed again, original female, under a piece of wood so it should be secure enough, the male is being pretty active in site protection as well.

Matt
    Keymaster

Great stuff, sounds like he’s learning to pull his weight.

Matt
    Keymaster

Am adding a basic profile for this ‘species’ now, and am wondering whether to list it as undescribed or a rio Negro form of B. opercularis. Any opinions gratefully received.

Matt
    Keymaster

Bump, and also do the pelvic fins change colour when Biotoecus sp. are performing broodcare?

a.d.wood
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 16 2012, 03:56 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Bump, and also do the pelvic fins change colour when Biotoecus sp. are performing broodcare?

Didn’t notice any colour change in the pelvic fins of my Biotoecus when I was working with them. Female Dicrossus filamentosus pelvic fins did change to red though!

I’d list them as B. opercularis, Rio Negro form. Looking at my old images they didn’t show any great differences from the B. opercularis I imported in 2006

Andrew

a.d.wood
    Participant

QUOTE (a.d.wood @ Jan 16 2012, 07:46 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Didn’t notice any colour change in the pelvic fins of my Biotoecus when I was working with them. Female Dicrossus filamentosus pelvic fins did change to red though!

I’d list them as B. opercularis, Rio Negro form. Looking at my old images they didn’t show any great differences from the B. opercularis I imported in 2006

Andrew

Small correction/clarification to my last reply, my Biotoecus sp. Tapajos did display orange ventrals, both male and female and didn’t appear to relate specifically to breeding condition (unlike the Dicrossus where a distinct red coloration was on show on the females ventral during brood care):

Male

Female

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks very much Andrew, I’ll just list everything under B. opercularis and make some remarks about populations then.

It was actually the fact that the pelvics change colour in brooding Dicrossus that I asked about it – I’ve got several photos of Biotoecus specimens with this feature, all supposedly from different locations, so was wondering if it came and went.

There’s also this which I’m unsure is genuine in terms of colour?

Attached files

a.d.wood
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 17 2012, 08:53 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks very much Andrew, I’ll just list everything under B. opercularis and make some remarks about populations then.

It was actually the fact that the pelvics change colour in brooding Dicrossus that I asked about it – I’ve got several photos of Biotoecus specimens with this feature, all supposedly from different locations, so was wondering if it came and went.

There’s also this which I’m unsure is genuine in terms of colour?

I think the coloration in the pelvics (and the rest of the fins) was something that developed as the fish matured rather than breeding strategy.

That image doesn’t look right, either colour fed fish or likely the photo is doctored (saturation looks well adjusted!!)

Andrew

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.