LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Biotope For Juvenile Salmon

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Biotope For Juvenile Salmon

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Bluedave 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dave Argyll
    Participant

Hi all you hill stream experts /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Colin
    Participant

Hi Dave

Think I’d be tempted to copy the types of tanks used for the hillstream loaches with the pipes under the gravel… and yes, a big chiller. They are not cheap to buy and not cheap to run either /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Dave Argyll
    Participant

hi colin, thanks for the advice, can you recommend any suppliers/brands of chillers and designs of systems that i could copy

i’m thinking of a 4ft tank with a sump filter,but will that filter set up just increase the volume of water that needs chilled?

possibly a simpler system with a simple external eheim 2217 and power heads in the tank to create current? or does that sound hopelessly underspec’d

my kids’ school also did the salmon egg hatching program, only a few alevins hatched though in advance of the easter break (i think the chiller was on too cold), though i understand they have now been released into a tributary of the River Lochy. its great that the fisheries’ trusts are getting involved with schools, cultivating the next generation of fish geeks

Colin
    Participant

“cultivating the next generation of fish geeks”

yes, but a tad embarrassing when my daughter corrected me when I called the alevins “fry”!!! LOL Silly Daddy!

Only time I have used chillers was with a large marine tank I helped maintain and he used two Aqua medic Titans, but which ones I can’t recall.

I believe you first job would be to set up a tank and see what the ambient temperature of the water is – bearing in mind that the powerheads/filter will also generate heat and then work out what is needed to get the temperature down to where you need it. I think its worked out in BTUs like a fridge?

I have hear of people scrounging old beer chillers from pubs. I got my hands on one once but never set it up on a tank.

Bluedave
    Participant

Chillers aren’t cheap mate – how cold are you looking to get the water?

Link here to some your looking at £300-500 to get the water down by 5-10 degrees C (ish)

http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/acatal…UM_COOLERS.html

They cost an awful lot to run as well – might not be an issue if it’s for your business?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.