LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Bird Ringing And Photography

Home Forums The Lounge Bird Ringing And Photography

This topic contains 27 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Shankar 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Colin
    Participant

Hi, some of you know I was totally knocked out with the flu for a couple of weeks but today was the first day I have felt okay for a while so decided to entertain myself.

I stay on a farm and work full time in conservation and one of the part work and part hobby things i do is bird ringing. Basically this involves catching birds, all birds and putting a unique ring on its leg with a number sequence. There are all different sizes of rings to range from goldcrests to mute swans. The rings are put on with special pliers…

I use a mist net to catch them…

the net is about 9m long and almost invisible when put up right with no wind.

The birds are extracted, ringed, weighed, aged and sexed before being released.

Today wasn’t a huge success but i did catch a few lesser redpolls Carduelis cabaret which are nice wee birds and then after that a few finger munching blue tits Cyanistes caeruleu and great tits Parus major. They really bite your fingers to bits while extracting.

I also got a siskin Carduelis spinus and a few pics of the birds both in my hand and on the nyjer feeder which i use to lure them in…

Some pics…

A robin Erithacus rubecula

and its ring…

more to follow

Colin
    Participant

It’s not always easy to take pics of birds but it MUCH easier when they are in your hand. Although holding a wiggly bird and taking a pic at the same time is not so easy… You can get a better appreciation of how pretty some of these birds are when they are so close up…

Chaffinch Fringilla coelebs

and its wing… you can use the feathers to sex this bird as a male but also to age it and this one was born last year

A great tit

and this belly pic means it’s a male

A blue tit

and its ring

Colin
    Participant

These are one of the prettiest birds that I catch and they are goldfinches Carduelis carduelis and although I didnt get any today I have had about 20 odd this year…

and here is a busier feeder…

There are three species here including siskins, a goldfinch and the bottom bird is a lesser redpoll

Colin
    Participant

This redpoll could be wearing a ring that I put on it on the 11th of Jan this year or it could be from the other end of the UK or Europe even. The ringing scheme replies on people catching birds and reading ring numbers or reporting ring numbers they find on dead birds… like the ones the cat drags in.

Bird ringing is a licensed activity and you are strictly not allowed to just start catching birds and ringing them. Training can take several years and I am still training, although there are different levels of permits to achieve.

Last year I ringed several hundred birds and in 2009 I went to The Ebro Delta in Spain with 3 friends for a ringing trip to see different species…

There is a link for that trip here…

http://picasaweb.google.com/CRDunlop/SpainRingingApril2009#

Matt
    Keymaster

Great photos Colin – that great tit looks well p**sed off in the belly shot.

Colin
    Participant

That sums them up full stop, they are always p*ssed off! Most birds just let you get on with it but not them!

The containers were mostly turtles Emys species… orbicularis? But there were other odds and sods like hermans tortoises and such like. The large birds were for rehabilitating birds like the audwin’s gulls, flamingos and kite etc… it was well worth a visit and a lot of birders go there. One pair of guys I met had about £15,000 of camera equipment and were boasting about how they got pics of a orphen warbler from about 100m away…. didnt have the heart to tell them I was holding one that morning

andy rushworth
    Participant

Very interesting stuff Colin

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (Colin @ Jan 27 2011, 04:46 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The containers were mostly turtles Emys species… orbicularis?

Yeah should be – probably Mauremys leprosa too which is the other species of conservation concern. There’s a major problem with introduced Trachemys scripta in Catalunya.

Colin
    Participant

yeah i seen them too… big problem with red signal crayfish in all the water i dipped in too… well and Silurus glanis

Malti
    Participant

just a question – aren’t mist nets dangerous for the birds? when they really tangle up?

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (Colin @ Jan 27 2011, 11:24 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    yeah i seen them too… big problem with red signal crayfish in all the water i dipped in too… well and Silurus glanis /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />

Malti
    Participant

hey Matt,

seems that those crays will take over everywhere…guess its the same ones that are invading italy right?

ps got some problems quoting…and opening new threads, won’t let me type in the body, using FF latest version

keith565
    Participant

wow, amazing info Colin, and as always, great pics. keep up the good work.

Colin
    Participant

Cheers Keith

Malti, yeah in the wrong hands they can be which is one reason why it takes so long to train. Extracting birds which are in a mist net is a very fiddly business with some species so it needs a lot of care. Not everyone can do it. Each net has its own unique code too and is registered to the owner and you need a permit to even buy one.

Amazingly some people still illegally use mist nets to catch birds like goldfinches and sell them on the pet black market

Worst thing ever to extract is a bat!!!! They go to every effort to put their wings, feet and head through every hole possible, spin round into a tight ball then bite!

Matt
    Keymaster

Haha saw the angry bat in your Picasa Web album – seems you have a talent for making flying creatures angry!

Karlos yep same evil cray species throughout the Med – Procambarus clarkii. I quite enjoy murdering them. /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.