LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Bit Of Help Please

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Bit Of Help Please

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Dave S 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Dave S
    Participant

Hello Again – I posted a while back about the fish I was looking to stock in my new 120 litre tank.

Based on what I was told then, I cycled the tak fishlessly using household ammonia (took about 5 weeks)- then did a 90% water change and added 6 charry barbs 2 weeks ago. /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

I used Interpret Ammonia remover to take the ammonia down in the first instance, but now the ammonia is at 1ppm, and has been for a week neither reducing or increasing. Nitrite is 0, and Nitrate is around 15ppm (my tap water is 0ppm). The ph is 6.0 – 6.2 The tank is heavily planted, and these seem to be doing well. Any help would be welcome! Why isn’t the ammonia going anywhere, and is there anything else I should be doing? I’ve got a fluval 4plus filter, and have set the water to 25C

I’ve also got another problem I don’t understand! The plants look good, but are getting covered in something a bit odd! It look like the plants have hairs or cobwebs on them, it’s a kind of greyish colour and I can remove it OK, but I don’t understand where it comes from, if it’s just crud that attaches itself to the plants after a water change or something more sinister! Doesn’t look good though so again any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bluedave
    Participant

Hi mate,

are you cleaning your filter media? If so how?

Any pics of the cobwebs? It’s got to be some kind of algae – what lighting do you have, how long is it on for? Do you add ferts to the tank? When you say heavily planted – what do you mean, heavily planted to me is mote than 75% of the substrate covered with plants. Do you add CO2?

Sorry for all the Q’s but they help us to help you

Dave S
    Participant

I’ve cleaned the filer media 1 at a time (there’s two sponges). So they each get de-gunked fortightly. I do it in aquarium water, i the bucket I do water changes in. I’m very gentle (!) and don’t think this could be the problem?

Lighting – I’ve got 2 20w flurescent strip lights in there – ig to them with the aqurium, a fluva roma 120, so it’s the standard ones they sell with it, and the lights are on for 8 hours a day. I’ve used Interpret Flora Boost every fortnight so far – I want to get some proper fertiliser t use in the substrate but no LFS have any in stock. I’ll take a photo tomorrow, but it basically either looks like hairs on the plants leaves/roots or iis on the stems where it looks like cobwebs in a grey colour

mickthefish
    Participant

for your amonia spike the only thing i can suggest is to do a large water change and smaller changes for a week and see if that takes it out, also test your tapwater to make sure none is there, as you only have 6 fish in there that filter would easily cope with that.
    also check with the water board they can supply you with a breakdown of whats in your water supply.

mick

Richy
    Participant

have a look here and see if it’s any of these algaes
    ALGAE

Matt
    Keymaster

Dave what kind of test kit are you using for the ammonia? Some can be a little inaccurate and a steady reading of 1ppm is a bit weird, especially if nitrite readings are stable at 0.

ndc
    Participant

ammonia kits often give a false negative reading depending on ph, if you have 0 nitrite and are showing nitrate i wouldnt bother with the ammonia test again

Dave S
    Participant

Wow! Thanks everyone /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” />

Picture of the tank, then I tried to get a close up of the algae.
    Thanks in advance!!

Attached files

mickthefish
    Participant

just had a look at your tank mate, thats not black hair grass bud luckily for you.
    it’s a swine to get rid of.
    i think it’s just the leaf decay thats been colonized by the stuff that eats it.
    i see you have a ventura fitted to your filter and the filter outlet is very near the surface each of them things could be causing your plants to die off.
    you also have to be careful with the sand substrate as it can have dead spots which will eventually pollute your tank, make sure when your doing a water change and general clearup to stir your sand with a stick or anything like that.
    only a tip this mate, but do you know anyone who goes fishing if so just ask them for a lenght of the line they use to tie your javafern on the bogwood it looks better plus it won’t rot like elastic bands.

cheers Dave
    mick

Matt
    Keymaster

I agree with Mick, it’s not algae Dave. The leaves might also be dying as it has been grown emerse. A lot of Echinodorus species are grown this way by suppliers. The leaves die off and the plant will grow new ones.

Dave S
    Participant

Thanks Mick and Matt – any tips on getting rid of it?

Mick – I have the filter near the top with the venutra ( I guess this is the name for the bit that adds air to the outlet water

Matt
    Keymaster

Just pull of the dying leaves Dave. The rotting will cause extra load on your new filter which isn’t a good idea. I’d take the venturi off the filter, the plants will help oxygenate the water and unless you intend to stock heavily (not a good idea with planted tanks) that should be adequate.

The dead spots in the sand can accumulate because sand compacts a lot more than gravel and can thus turn anaerobic very easily. Easily spotted as the sand turns black and smells bad.

mickthefish
    Participant

i was gonna answer you back but Matt beat me to it, every thing he has said but don’t forget under the bogwood or any rocks you have.
    just lift em, stir and bed them back in the sand.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Lol sorry Mick. /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Bluedave
    Participant

Are you adding any ferts Dave?

The yellow spots are a sign of iron deficiency – a common problem especially with Ech. Species.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.