LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Blood Parrot Cichlids

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Blood Parrot Cichlids

This topic contains 38 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  David Marshall 9 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

At the risk of starting a flame war on the forum boards, here goes….

now , my disclaimer is that Basically I am an Australian Rainbow and Catfish lover. But I have a soft spot for Kribensis (who always raise a batch of babies), and also occasionally for Black Angelfish. So it happened quite by chance that I rescued two Blood Parrot Cichlids out of a tank of mean Mbunas at the stupid Walmart store.

My big male smiles with his mouth shut like a normal fish, and is very gorgeous with Apricot sherbet color and pointed fins and very nice to all the small fish. The female is smaller and shier but also pretty. They are both the size of a decently big apple. They live in a 55gal (US) tank ie 208 liters I believe. My local fish store owner laughed at me and said “they grow to be the size of dinner plates”.

since their origin is questionable, what do you all think? Do you like them, hate them, have ever had them? How big a tank should they have ?

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Reva

The U.K. S.F. members know how much I like Red Parrots so I will reply to you in a positive manner. I kept, until old age took them to ‘the big aquarium in the sky’, 5 of these fish, which lived very happily, in an aquarium 60x10x10″. They were a joy to keep.

If you go to the Ryedale A.S. website at http://www.ryedaleaquaristsociety.co.uk and then to the articles section you will find an article on these fish.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

You won’t get flamed on here hun, promise. /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Just out of interest, does anyone know the origin species involved in producing these? I’ve read various things but never any definitive info.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Matt

15cm is a little on the small side for a Parrot cichlid.

The article mentioned in my first reply gives the known details of the cross which produced the ‘original’ Asian Parrot cichlids.

Since the article was written we have 3 new variants in the U.K.:-

1. ‘Bleeding heart’. With these fish the caudal fin is literally ‘destroyed’ while the poor fish are still with the breeder.

2. The ‘helebruni’, as spelt on the retail outlet labels, variant. This hints at a cross of the ‘original’ Parrot with one of the Chocolate cichlids, which once had the scientific name Cichlasoma helebruni or some spelling very close to this.

The ‘helebruni’ variant is best avoided as they are much more ‘vicious’ in nature than the ‘original’ Asian Parrots. The lovely yellow and bronze ‘baby colours’ of this variant also fade to orange/red as they mature.

3. King Kong variant. As the name suggests these are best described as ‘Red Parrots on steroids’.

I like the ‘original’ Parrots cichlids. They have a real charm about them and a great character.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi David yes your article confirms what I’d read before, some kind of Amphilophus/Heros mongrel-effort with possibly some others mixed in. Do you have any pictures of the different variants you’ve mentioned there? Should be really useful for this thread…

Reva
    Participant

thanks for your input guys. I am really busy in my pet sitting business this week, so i dont have the time to look up these scientific names

dunc
    Keymaster

As far as I’m aware, the males are sterile and thus can only produce offspring with hormone injections.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Folks

Riva – Glad you are enjoying your Parrots so much. My Parrots lived, and really grew, in the aquarium quoted in my first reply. They had the company of various Synodontis species and large loricarins. I ‘lost’ 2 at around 5 years in my company while the remaining 3 lived for a further 24 months.

I also had some of the helebruni variant but they, sadly, did not prove to be as strong.

dunc – When the Red Parrots first arrived in the U.K. Far Eastern wholesalers told U.K. retailers that these fish were sterile. However the fish themselves had other ideas and soon set about reproducing.

Riva – Yes I know of BP’s producing fry. However, as with the ‘normal’ Red Parrots, all of the fry were green in colour and grew into muddy-green sub-adults. Look forward to hearing how your Parrots progress.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

I think that they have been bred successfully Dunc but most males turn out to be infertile. Someone else may know more. Here’s a picture of the “hellabrunni” (potential cross with Hypselecara temporalis) that David mentioned, courtesy of Arthur Kenworthy.

Attached files

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 17 2008, 12:59 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think that they have been bred successfully Dunc but most males turn out to be infertile. Someone else may know more. Here’s a picture of the “hellabrunni” (potential cross with Hypselecara temporalis) that David mentioned, courtesy of Arthur Kenworthy. /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” />

I dont think I will be having any green babies /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” />

dunc
    Keymaster

Frontosas are gorgeous

Malti
    Participant

well they’re a bit weird looking…remind me of Klingons somehow

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Jul 18 2008, 08:52 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

well they’re a bit weird looking…remind me of Klingons somehow /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” /> At least I got a rise outa ya….now you have something legitimate to complain about if the day goes wrong (“and there’s this nutcase of a woman on my website, who likes Parrot Cichlids of all things, and thinks Frontosas are bulldog ugly”) /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />
    Seriously, my male fish has a topline like this nice Frontosa…I make my point, I’ll say no more…
    thanks for the pic …I rest my case

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Reva @ Jul 18 2008, 08:18 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Seriously, my male fish has a topline like this nice Frontosa…I make my point, I’ll say no more…
    thanks for the pic …I rest my case /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Jul 19 2008, 01:25 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    so your male’ s topline is fugly? /ph34r.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:ph34r:” border=”0″ alt=”ph34r.gif” />

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.