LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Blue Ram with exophtalmia (aka pop-eye)

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Blue Ram with exophtalmia (aka pop-eye)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Joaoavo 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Joaoavo
    Participant

Hello everyone,

First of all I apologize if my questions have been discussed in the forum. I’ve been reading a lot about this topic but, so far, I haven’t found a definite answer.

I have a pair of German Blue Rams that I bought 1 month ago. At the store, they were kept with 100 + other rams and all seemed fine and lively. 2 days after they were in my tank, I noticed some asymmetry in the male’s eyes. 2 days later, the right eye began to swell and became cloudy. I put the ram in a separate tank and treated it with a broad range bactericide and fungicide (Esha products) and increased the temperature from 26ºC to 28ºC. In the course of three days the eye became clear, but the swelling did not go down. The fish always behaved normally during this period, so I decided to put it back into the main tank and kept a close look at his behavior. Although the eye was still bulging, the fish looked happy and the pair already laid eggs once. A few days ago, I noticed that the swelling increased a bit and some blood was coming out of a small puncture.

I isolated him again and began treatment with seachem kanaplex, but the swelling still remains. I believe this pop-eye is due to some physical trauma, rather than a physiological problem. From what I’ve read, swelling usually goes down in these cases, but not with this ram. I wouldn’t bother much with this, but I think eventually the eye will become a prime site for fungal or bacterial infection.

Do you have any tips for treating this problem?

Some data on the tank:

Size: 200L/50 gal

kH/pH = 4º dH, 6.5

NO3/NO2/NH3 = 5*/0/0 (* usually 0, but I add 5 ppm twice a week to keep plants healthy and cyanobacteria at bay)

Live plants: Valisneria, Cladophora, Anubias

Decoration: Wood (I think mopani, have them for 6 years), dragon stone

Fish: 9 kuhli loach, 15 Hyphessobrycon amapaensis, 2 Mikrogeaphagus ramirezi (plan to add a pair of angelfish later on)

Cheers

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.