LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Botia Kubotai Spawned

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Botia Kubotai Spawned

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  dunc 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I got some very large Botia Kubotai in March, anyway they settled in and have been happily getting on with the other loaches in the 7ft tank ever since.

Today when I was feeding the tank I noticed the big male kubotai dart towards the power filter in the front corner and something shot out from behind it and into some bogwood, trying to keep calm because I saw how big this thing was I put two nets into the tank and tried to lift the piece of bogwood when something darted out and straight into the net.

Well to say I couldn’t believe what I saw in the net is an understatement so I quickly grabbed a small show tank added some water and dropped this little fish into it, to my total disbelief what I pulled from the tank was a tiny (compared to the adults and any other kubotai I have) 4cm kubotai.

The first thing I did was tell the wife the second was ring Emma Turner who is a good friend and is a fellow staff member on Loaches Online and let her know that I have spawned Botia kubotai

So knowing that info would be needed here are some water stats:
    Ph – 6.8
    Nitrite – 0
    Ammonia – 0
    Nitrates – between 5 & 10 ppm
    Temperature – normally around 79 – 80

And finally after I had calmed down a bit I managed to take some photos that were finally in focus

I thought I would never better the spawning of my sidthimunki but this is an amazing feeling even if I didn’t know anything about it, hopefully when I have a bit of a rearrange of the 7ft in a couple of weeks time I may just come across a couple more.

This is the worlds first captive bred botia kubotai!!!

Eyrie
    Participant

Congratulations!

Do you have a note of the water parameters going back to when you got the adults?

Malti
    Participant

thats great mate! time to celebrate! *cheers*

Matt
    Keymaster

Wonderful stuff Mark you´re quite simply at the forefront of the loach hobby here. Many congratulations!! /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” /> Do you have any pics of the tank they spawned in?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Thanks guys < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

Congratulations!

Do you have a note of the water parameters going back to when you got the adults?

If at all possible my tanks are kept at constatnt parameters so they should have been pretty much the same as they are now.

Matt – I will try and get a pic tomorrow

brightsyde
    Participant

Wow!

Jarcave
    Participant

Congratulation. Well done indeed!!!

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Thankyou /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

The strory is now on PFK online – PFK – kubotai spawning

keith565
    Participant

wow m8. big congrats on the spawning. lets hope you have more success.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Thanks Keith

Reva
    Participant

WOW /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

I am a Botia loach freak…and I have two Botia kubotai in a 55 gallon (US) tank with four Botia striata and two Botia macracanthus

In a different tank, same size, I have Botia modesta and Botia almorhae .

I would just flip if anyone decided to spawn…congratulations, and thanks for sharing!! thanks for posting the conditions too. What kind of plants etc. do you have? hows the decor? Did they spawn in a cave of some kind? What was the hardness?

Rats! Of course something exciting happens when I am leaving on vacation tomorrow….

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Matt asked for a photo of the tank they spawned in so here are a couple:

Left hand end:

Right hand end:

Full tank shot:

Thanks Reva

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks for posting those Mark, looks like a busy tank! Have you got a river tank-style manifold running or just standard filtration?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Just standard filtration Matt, I did consider a manifold for this tank but its over 30″ deep which could have caused problemswhen trying to reach filter cannisters and powerheads etc and I didnt want the gravel to deep and a manifold would have required a deeper substrate.

There are two large externals and 5 internals.

dunc
    Keymaster

Superb news. Cracking article on PFK

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.