LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Botia Rostrata And Dario

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Botia Rostrata And Dario

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Mike 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Botia rostrata

Botia dario

Matt
    Keymaster

Amazing the differences in patterning of the rostratas.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

There is quite a difference in all the ones I have Matt, these are the others:

Malti
    Participant

a n00b question…is difference in pattern like different finnage colour in bettas?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Rostrata in particular do seem to throw up more pattern variations than other loach’s the true reason for this isn’t clear, yoyo’s also throw quite a few pattern variations.

Someone once said it could possibly be regional variations but all of these in my pictures were from the same shipment from the same location so unless fish from different areas had congregated into one area it becomes less likely.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Is the fish in the third pic one of the Rostrata labelled fish that came in with Histrionica ?

I must add that there is a lot of variation in the Indian Rostrata’s , some people think that they are collected from different locations , and then mixed at the holding stations ! I suppose this would possibly explain the variable colours and patterns , but I think Rostrata’s appear to be a fish that goes through a few changes as it grows !

The Darkone did a great piece of work on the Botias of India and Burma , well worth a read if this is your interest !

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (andy rushworth @ Oct 3 2008, 04:18 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Is the fish in the third pic one of the Rostrata labelled fish that came in with Histrionica ?

That fish Andy actually came into my posession as one of two fish that both looked similar at the time.

The front fish is the one in the 3rd photo:

The back fish developed to look like this:

And now looks like this:

Matt
    Keymaster

Superb sequence Mark.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Mark great pics ! Would it be fair to say that the fish in the background is a Kubotai , so the fish in question would be from Burma , I seem to think these fish came in with Histrionica’s originally , and were labelled as Rostrata sp/ ? my guess is that they are different to the true Indian Rostrata’s !

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (andy rushworth @ Oct 4 2008, 11:45 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Mark great pics ! Would it be fair to say that the fish in the background is a Kubotai , so the fish in question would be from Burma , I seem to think these fish came in with Histrionica’s originally , and were labelled as Rostrata sp/ ? my guess is that they are different to the true Indian Rostrata’s !

Yeah that is my feeling as well Andy, there is something very similar listed in the Loaches online species index and it is labelled as “Botia unknown03 ( Botia sp. aff. rostrata)”.

There are definitely differences between this fish and my actual rostrata mainly in body shape with this not being as deep bodied and it certainly doesn’t look like its going to grow as big as the rostratas.

dunc
    Keymaster

Can you all stop posting pictures of your loaches please? I’m really starting to like them

mickthefish
    Participant

here’s one of my rostrata which has the usual pattern which is two bars.
    it’s starting to get a few small white spots in a few of the bars.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Lol Dunc buddy first danios and now loaches…you’re turning to the dark side, or Central and Southeastern Asia at least.

dunc
    Keymaster

I know

Mike
    Participant

Great pics of beautiful loaches.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.