LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Botia Spp.

This topic contains 46 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 8 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Experiences with B. almorhae, please.

mickthefish
    Participant

in what way Matt?

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok well I’ve got plenty of papers so need aquarium experiences, particularly regarding how aggressive it is since reports seem to vary. Would you keep it with any other loaches?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I keep my several B. almorhae with kubotai, striata, histrionica, rostrata, dario, schistura beavani and Schistura kohchangensis as well as cherry barbs, danios and rasboras.

The almorhae are very placid they do have the odd skirmish amongst themselves but they dont bother any of the other loaches.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Mark.

Plaamoo
    Participant

I don’t keep almorhae Matt so no help, sorry. I have kubotai,striata, and histrionica. The only ones that I’ve definitely heard clicking are the histies in a feeding frenzy. It would be interesting to know exactly how they do it?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Presumably if the pharyngeals are used the sound is amplified via the swim bladder as in some other fishes?

I think that is probably the most plausible explanation Matt, I think the swim bladder does play a big part, I have noticed especially in the histrionica that there is usually a side ways movement of the head when they click and the greater the head movement the louder the click so I would think it is made using a bone in the skull or pharyngeals.

Yeah the Yasuhikotakia’s are probably the loudest, I have heard clicks from both Syncrossus and Sinibotia

I am certain I have heard clicks although feint from my Acanthocobitis rubidipinnis and Schistura balteata but wont say 100%.

Matt
    Keymaster

Next question!

Bully
    Participant

B. striata definitely click, mine do it most around tablet food, or any food they need to work at, I’ve never witnessed them clicking over flake food, frozen food or soft live food such as bloodworm and grindal worm.

For me, the ‘loachy dance’ is prevalent in the B. striata over my sids. My Pangio anguillaris did it for about 3 days when they were first introduced to the tank but, have not bothered since – they were perhaps the most graceful to look at though, and you could put your hand in the tank and they would wind through your fingers, and rest on them too

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I find the loachy dance is more often seen in my fish when new loaches are added, I haven’t seen it from the Sinibotia it does seem to me to be more limited to the Botia species mainly and occasionally in the Yasuhikotakia’s.

Matt
    Keymaster

How long does the dance usually last?

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Botia modesta make all kinds of ‘clicking’ noises.

Regards David

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 1 2010, 12:15 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    How long does the dance usually last?

Varies really, I have seen them do it for a couple of minutes and other times all day.

Bully
    Participant

My experiences agree with MD’s, from minutes to a day – or more!

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks a lot for the help chaps!

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.