LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Botia Striata Guilty Or Innocent?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Botia Striata Guilty Or Innocent?

This topic contains 38 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  dunc 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

I do not know if any of you are botia fanatics, but I have had my go around with keeping quite a few of them. Skunk loaches b.horae? are Very Bad Little Citizens, who, having rid your tank of snails, will then deprive the resident fish of their eyeballs during the night….. /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” />

So when my tiger barbs, whom I thought would be Fierce, all began trying to look like just one of the bubbles, I suspected foul play from the supposedly peaceful botia striata. Duncan held on to the idea that they were not likely to be the source of the trouble. But Just In Case, I moved the four striata into the Rainbow tank, to see what happened there….

Oddly enough, all the Rainbows spent some time in one corner of the tank…this went on for a couple of days, even though I only Once saw a striata chase around one of my big, male, Red New Guineas, trying to nibble at his gills. I went straight out and bought fresh frozen worms, and it stopped. Next I see the clown loaches and angelicus loaches sitting up high on the tallest plants.

As if to say, like the cowardly lion, “I Do believe in spooks” /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

Eyrie
    Participant

Can’t say I’ve ever had problems with my striata, and they’re in with sids and various tetras.

I’m sure headstanding is normal for tiger barbs, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

PS: The skunk loach Botia horae is now classed as Yasuhikotakia morleti.

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 18 2008, 07:43 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    PS: The skunk loach Botia horae is now classed as Yasuhikotakia morleti.

I am pedaling as fast as I can /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” />
    I have had Rosey’s , Ruby’s , Clown, Checker, Cherry, Spanner, and Aurelius barbs , and nobody has ever done head stands before. I guess loss of two of the barbs from a purchase place that was less than healthy to start with had nothing to do with my own fish and water quality after all.
    thanks Eyrie and everyone who commented to help me with the dilemma

Eyrie
    Participant

QUOTE (Reva @ Jul 19 2008, 08:30 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I am pedaling as fast as I can /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

all my young botia’s try to nibble at something near the gills, it’s usually near feed time or not long after, so i’m wondering if they’re trying to find titbits to eat as they never do any damage to my other fish, they’re more of an annoyance to them.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 19 2008, 11:55 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    There’s always somebody pedantic enough to give the latest name /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” /> I really don’t see it as pedantic though, more useful for other folk using the forum…

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Jul 19 2008, 02:10 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    all my young botia’s try to nibble at something near the gills, it’s usually near feed time or not long after, so i’m wondering if they’re trying to find titbits to eat as they never do any damage to my other fish, they’re more of an annoyance to them.

mick

that’s kind of a relief…I dont think the striata had anything to do with the barb problem. the reason I even suspected it is because a few small fish disappeared from the original tank they were in. I now believe the culprits were the pictus cats in that case. In the case of the barbs, they are still standing on their heads, and I have lost another one this morning. Nobody in the tank is bothering them, and everyone else is healthy. I lowered the hardness, the tank is not overcrowded, there are enough of them to make a school. I just dont get it.
    But the botias are all happy to be together. 2 clowns, two angelicus and 4 striata make a nice little group dynamic. Rainbows all acting normal. If I feed enough frozen meats the botias dont do the gill thing at all.

at the fish store:

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Reva @ Jul 21 2008, 06:15 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

at the fish store: /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” /> bet you bought it for the snails….

mickthefish
    Participant

hi Reva, the pictus cats could be the problem especially to smaller fish as this cat is a predator.
    it could also be unnerving other larger fish as they become more active at night or when the lights are off.
    i always prefer to have corydoras in my tanks as they would’nt harm a fly never mind a fish.

mick

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Even the genus Corydoras cannot get away without a bully and in this respect
    C. davidsandsi can be a real pain to keep.

Regards David

mickthefish
    Participant

David, i and qite a few people have kept and bred davidsandsi and never had any problems with the or any of the cory sp, it’s probably the water in Yorkshire mate.

Malti
    Participant

never had any trouble with corys here…although they do eat alot those little buggers

Reva
    Participant

Duncan is it ok if Malti /ph34r.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:ph34r:” border=”0″ alt=”ph34r.gif” /> hence, No Tetras…

But the only catfish in with the barbs is my newly accquired upside down syno, and a teensie baby pleco…

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Reva @ Jul 22 2008, 08:49 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Duncan is it ok if Malti /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” /> where am i using –> /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

I’ve kept C. davidsandsii in a mixed group with other corys and never had any problems with them, either. Mick’s right, must be all that raw meat and beer in Yorkshire!

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.