LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Bought as Barbus hulstaerti but what is it?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Bought as Barbus hulstaerti but what is it?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  kim m 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

kim m
    Participant

I bought these a couple of months ago. They are wild fish imported as B. hulstaerti, but I think they’re something else. They are around 3 cm. TL and seem a bit bigger then the B. hulstaerti I’ve kept in the past. Also, the males of these only have 2 body markings, one of them quite elongate. Apart from that they are very hulstaerti-like. The females look like typical hulstaerti with 3 rounds spots.

The species profile http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/barbus-hulstaerti/ mentions a B. “Papillio” that should have an elongate marking but it’s supposed to have black fins.

What do you think?

hulstaerti1lille.JPG

hulstaerti2lille.JPG

oaken
    Participant

I have B. hulstaerti that have both one, two and three spots. My original male had one big spot, I think I posted a picture of it on this forum somewhere. But the offspring got all sorts of markings.

oaken
    Participant

Here is the picture in question:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/blodkropp/CRW_3239-1.jpg

kim m
    Participant

Thanks! That looks like my fish…must breed them and see how the fry turn out 🙂

Actually the tank is already set up and the females seperated from the males for a few days of heavy feeding.

oaken
    Participant

Good luck. They don’t seem to eat their fry so they’re farily easy to breed.

kim m
    Participant

I know 🙂 I bred them a few years ago until a warm summer killed them (and loads of Corydoras, Scleromystax etc.).

My old fishroom had a window southwards…it got very warm very fast. 

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Some of my candens have the spots merged into a single blob also.

Matt
    Keymaster

So this is an aberrant B. hulstaerti then? Is it a wild fish Kim?

kim m
    Participant

@matt said:
    So this is an aberrant B. hulstaerti then? Is it a wild fish Kim?

As far as I know, yes. All males in the batch looked like this. I have them in the breeding tank now so hopefully I will have offspring soon. Will be interesting if I get a mix pattern as mentioned above or they will all look like this.

kim m
    Participant

Loads of fry…looking just as B. hulstaerti fry. Will be interesting to see their development and how many spots they have 🙂

oaken
    Participant

I saw this on facebook http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=155916931192599&set=a.155916921192600.31092.100003228803206&type=3&theater (hope the link works) where someone claims that this would be an undescribed species. But I’m not so sure since mine have all sorts of patterns. Interesting to note though is that my females always have three spots. It’s only my males that vary in colour.

Matt
    Keymaster

Is it only recently that these differently-patterned males have started showing up? I’d never seen them before this thread?

Facebook, meh.:( Destroyer of forums and independant websites and thus the online equivalent of shopping at a huge chain rather than your local business?

oaken
    Participant

Yeah I much prefer a site like this over Facebook. But I couldn’t really do anything about it :p

Anyway, I think I posted the picture that I posted earlier in this topic on this forum in like.. 2010? Can’t seem to find the old thread, though. I’m a bit curious if it’s just a colour morph or a new species, and if mine are then hybrids or what!

kim m
    Participant

I have not seen any B. hulstaerti in Denmark between my first group I bought some 4…5? years back when they appeared in the hobby after a long absence and the ones I bought recently so how common this variation is I don’t know.

But from what Graham experiences with his candens it can vary from specimen to specimen, so why not hulstaerti?

Matt
    Keymaster

Wasn’t suggesting you were at fault Gustav, just venting! 🙂

So conclusion is that the size of the blotches does vary and they are merged in some (male?) individuals?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.