LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Brachygobius breeding

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Brachygobius breeding

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  unissuh 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

unissuh

Has anyone bred Brachygobius before?

I’ve been giving this a go with a group of Brachygobius xanthomelas recently but what I’m seeing differs from accounts I read. I read they’re supposed to lay under a branch or in a cave (present in tank) then protect them, but mine seem to scatter eggs in little patches across the tank, most frequently on the glass, and abandon them.

Gravid female:

Egg patch:

Curious whether anyone else has seen this?

Ferrika
    Participant

hi,
    I have raised in January some Brachygobius xanthozona and have in addition a group Brachygobius sabanus. Both species lay their eggs preferentially in small, enclosed rear tubes. Spawning is usually only in very soft freshwater.
    When the animals distributed their eggs put in any seats, it’s usually a sign of distress-spawn. Perhaps you have no males? Or is there not the right places to spawn?

Are you sure that your animals are Brachygobius xanthomelas? Could you make even a photo from the side or from above? I have my doubts.

unissuh

I have not put pipes into the tank, but there are plenty of little caves amonst the rockwork that they could claim. None of them seem to be going into the caves at all though. I have 6 gobies, but not sure if any are male. Rarely see them all at once, and can’t tell them all apart yet.

They were sold as xanthomelas & I come up with xanthomelas using the Brachygobius key.

Ferrika
    Participant

If all the animals look like in the photo, so all those bellies, there are females. The males are slightly smaller and very thin.
    I also looked again at the key. I’m not totally convinced that they really are Brachygobius xanthomelas. But it may be that they do not show good color.

unissuh

Hmm…maybe I have to see if I can try and get some more. Having a hard look at the fish in the tank and most have bellies so thinking there might be no males.

That color is about as bright as they get – could be my tank set up but as far as I know xanthomelas don’t get as brightly colored like other spp.

Thanks for the help Jutta.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.