LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Brachygobius Spec.?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Brachygobius Spec.?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Ferrika
    Participant

Today I got some little Brachygobius, only 17 mm long. The importer indicates the location of catches Vietnam, but I can’t find any Brachygobius from there. Does anyone know, what species it could be?

Attached files

HDP
    Participant

Hey Jutta,

the Brachygobius species from the mekong would be my first guess. Maybe B. mekongensis or B . kabiliensis?

Ferrika
    Participant

Heiko, yesterday I received a link to a key determination. If I have interpreted correctly, they are Brachygobius sabanus.

http://biostor.org/cache/pdf/4f/78/2d/4f78…f9955e3f672.pdf

HDP
    Participant

QUOTE (Ferrika @ Feb 7 2012, 06:26 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Heiko, yesterday I received a link to a key determination. If I have interpreted correctly, they are Brachygobius sabanus.

http://biostor.org/cache/pdf/4f/78/2d/4f78…f9955e3f672.pdf

Reported not from Vietnam but from Indonesia and Thailand but you might be right. Nice little buggers.

Matt
    Keymaster

Both B. kabiliensis and B. sabanus were described from Sabah in northern Borneo though weren’t they? If that’s the case would they also be found in the Mekong region or Vietnam? Of the described species the only ones that comes close in terms of distribution are B. mekongensis and B. sua.

I have a 1990 article from DATZ with a photo of a Brachygobius specimen collected in ‘Ho Chi Minh state, Vietnam’ and also labelled as B. sabanus if anyone would like a copy? Fish looks the same as the ones in Jutta’s photos…

Ferrika
    Participant

Matt, I think, the delivery and the find spot must not be the same location. Perhaps my dealer missunderstood this. I do not believe, that the fishes was really caught at Vietnam…..

But thank you for confirmation my indentification. That makes me a little bit safer…

Matt
    Keymaster

A possible issue may be the lack of commercial fish collection taking place in Sabah though, no?

Matt
    Keymaster

Does anyone know what this fish might be or where it’s collected or exported from? It’s been widely referred to as B. xanthomelas but I’m convinced it isn’t because in B. xanthomelas the anterior part of the first dorsal-fin is clear whereas in this fish it’s black.

First two pics show the fish in question, third is the real B. xanthomelas from around the type locality in Johor, Peninsular Malaysia:

Brachygobius-cf-xanthomelas-1-web.jpgBrachygobius-sp..jpg 

Brachygobius-xanthomelas-Johor.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok so the first two look very much like the fish pictured on plate 440 of Kottelat’s ‘Fishes of Laos’ as B. mekongensis. Think it might be a different species though since this is B. mekongensis as per original description:

Brachygobius-sp-Siam-Reap.jpg

Colin
    Participant

Wouldn’t like to guess but there are usually a few Brachygobius on the lists at any one time and there are always variations within a shipment. Whether that means they are mixed species or the species is quite variable I dont know…

BigTom
    Participant

Nice work on the Brachygobius profiles by the way; disentangling that lot must have been a headache. Those aggregatus I got from Colin look suspiciously like doriae now though!

Matt
    Keymaster

Still is a headache and the profiles only dispense previously published information.:smile: 

The one to feel sorry for is Helen Larson who’s been working on a review of the genus for over 10 years from what I can gather. Guessing there are quite a few new species and even some of the pics we have should probably be labelled ‘id to be confirmed’ or words to that effect. Might move those elsewhere?

Colin, do you ever get fish with a pattern like the yellow one with thin black stripes in the first two pics above?

Edit: then there are these.

Brachygobius-sp.-poss-xanthomelas.jpgBrachygobius-sp.-1.jpgBrachygobius-Sungao-Sematan-Mike-Lo.jpgBrachygobiusspecJavaIsland.jpg

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.