LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Breeding Live Food

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Breeding Live Food

This topic contains 31 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  mickthefish 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

ndc
    Participant

apart from convicts what would be the best fish to breed from to provide live food for medium sized snakeheads (something like aurantimaculata) ?

take into account brood size and growth rate to get as many fish as possible at about 5 – 10 mm , any suggestions?
    i understand that this will not be palatable for some of you so i apologise in advance if it does annoy you but for those of you who dont mind this please give your point of view thanks

mickthefish
    Participant

danios are pretty fast growing and you get a good number of fry.

mick

Malti
    Participant

guppies…know they’re small but hell you’ll get loads

Matt
    Keymaster

If you go for livebearers I’d say a group of black mollies. Fully-grown females can give off some massive broods.

ndc
    Participant

i was maybe thinking some kind of livebearer so i can keep a few females together , i was going to keep rays again but i think ill go for some channa instead, ideally pleuropthalma or aurantimaculata and it would be good to provide them with some live food

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 26 2008, 09:59 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    If you go for livebearers I’d say a group of black mollies. Fully-grown females can give off some massive broods.

would you believe…4 f and 2 m…and not 1 fry after 3/4 months, think they use rubber

Matt
    Keymaster

I don’t believe you…

Malti
    Participant

or maybe the pangasuis, hoplos, altum are eating em all?

what about white cloud minnows? only fish said not to eat its young, and you’ll get loads…

Matt
    Keymaster

You keep Pangasius man?

Malti
    Participant

we got 2 small ones…at least I think they’re pangasius (they’re my bros, and I’m not really into them)- I know they grow big, we’re planning on a bigger tank sometime soon.

dunno if you can make out what they really are by these pics -they weren’t the focus of the photo, might get a couple of better ones soon.

mickthefish
    Participant

they’re Pangasius mate, the angels a goodun bud lovely finnage and body shape.
    whats the fish on the side pane in the second pic bud.

mick

ndc
    Participant

saw an interesting programme on pangasius, in the wild they grow huge but mostly in tanks they grow to about the 2 foot mark, i think the reason for this is that they turn to being sift feeders at about this size (eating macro algea etc – kinda like whales if you know what i mean) obviously in the home aquarium they arent fed this and dont fully move onto being ‘adults’ if that makes sense.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Sep 27 2008, 11:32 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    they’re Pangasius mate, the angels a goodun bud lovely finnage and body shape.
    whats the fish on the side pane in the second pic bud.

mick

if its the black one – its a black molly, other one is an Indian Algae Eater (which doesn’t eat algae much

mickthefish
    Participant

could you do a closer pic of the indian algae eater please mate.

mick

Malti
    Participant

will try to – he’s got the uncanny timing of darting around when i try to get a good shot of him, but will get some pics soon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.