LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Breeding P. subocellatus “Matadi”

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Breeding P. subocellatus “Matadi”

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Graham Ramsay 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

djwage
    Participant

I’d like some advice from anyone who has successfully bred these fish.  I have a 2 female, 1 male trio in a 29gal that are reluctant to breed.  The male does nothing but chase both females (not too aggressively) and in 4 months they have shown no signs of breeding.  The females aren’t even ripe.  They get a good mix of the Zoo Med flakes (Brine Shrimp, Earthworm, Plankton, and Spirulina) and live blackworms.  I’ve bred P. pulcher, P. taeniatus, and P. humillis with great results in the past and I’m wondering if there’s something different with this species.  All three couldn’t be less shy… they swim around everywhere and are extremely comfortable with me approaching the tank.  They are a tank strain from Europe, either Germany or Holland I think.

Tank set-up is as follows:

-29 gallon

-Sand substrate

-numerous lace rocks and driftwood

-dwarf lillies, rotala indica, anubias nana

-6 Bloodfin Tetras

-Temp 74F-75F (23C-24C)

-pH 6.7

-gH 30ppm

-Low lighting (18w T-8) +Moon LED

-100gph power filter (slow-no water current)

Please let me know if you see any glaring problems with this set up. (considering adding a male krib as a dither)

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

I wrote this some time ago but it may help.

https://fcas.wordpress.com/2010/06/09/pelvicachromis-subocellatus/

djwage
    Participant

Great site and good info.  It looks like I am keeping them in ideal conditions… so why aren’t they breeding?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

@djwage said:
    Great site and good info.  It looks like I am keeping them in ideal conditions… so why aren’t they breeding?

Hard to say. You might try just a pair and perhaps do without the characins. Just to see if that makes any difference.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.