LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Breeding Tips For Redigobius balteatus?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Breeding Tips For Redigobius balteatus?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Urban Aquarist 10 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi

I purchased a pair of these dimunitive redigobius goby species for my ‘goby tank’ at home 1 week ago. I was careful in my selection to purposely try to get a M/F pair. The LFS had 10 to select from so I picked out the largest goby with the really tall ‘rhinohorn'(dorsal fin). I then picked out a really fat one assuming it was a female. After only 1 day I noticed the two were spending alot of time together in a section of PVC usually used for breeding Goo obo Gudgeons. 2 days later, it’s just the male in the cave guarding alot of eggs. I couldn’t believe so many eggs from such a small female(under 1 inch long).

Anyway, I can’t really find any really substantial(less than generic IE-it breeds like this species ect) breeding info on this species on the web /huh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:huh:” border=”0″ alt=”huh.gif” /> ? Thanks!

-Urb

Matt
    Keymaster

As far as I know Urb this species is mostly found in brackish water so I suspect the fry may need special treatment yeah. Do the eggs seem to be developing normally? Very cool fish by the way.

I added some more pics to show the male and the eggs on the ceiling

The tank has 1 tablespoon seasalt per gallon right now. That’s what concerns me though, because many brackish species eggs develop in full seawater-either because the parents migrated for the spawn or because in development after the hanging larval stage, when they break free the larva travel downstream to the sea.

Actually, I just checked the eggs and I believe it’s not long from hatching. The larva look like little
    1 MM tadpoles-what I assume the sparkling things are the eyes? There’s really only a few fungused eggs-probably defective or unfertilized. Looks like 98% successful egg rate.

-Urb

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.