LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Bristlenose M/f ?

Home Forums My Aquarium Bristlenose M/f ?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Nomad 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

Hi again folks! Another Q for the Pros. I have 2 bristlenose left from a batch of babies I bought at a local club auction a year ago, one brown and one albino. The brown is dominant, a good 4 in., and obviously male. The albino is smaller at 3 in. or so and has only a few small whiskers. Is it generally a good idea to have more than one male in a tank(75 gal with lots of cover)?I’m thinking If it’s another male I’ll might pass it on and look for a female. Here’s a few pics, what do you think?

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Personally I would say female but I have seen males lack any bristles until well over 3″.

Matt
    Keymaster

I think female too but it does still have some growing to do.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks guys! I’ll give it some time.

francistrus
    Participant

Maybe it will be easier if we could see a belly picture.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Well, a year and a half later it’s definitely a male! These two have been fine together until lately. This is the second time I’ve caught them doing battle. There’s no female in the tank(4ft, 75 gallon), just these two. Do you reckon this will lead to injury? I’d separate them but I don’t have a spot for one at the moment.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLbEGDZguzQ

MatsP
    Participant

That’s normal behaviour. Keep an eye on it and isolate or get rid of one if it becomes too bad. I have found the remains of a male at one point, but I have kept multiple males in the same tank several times.

Mats

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks Mats!

Nomad
    Participant

It is not unusual for males to delay in the developement of their bristles if they are the subserviant male and to remain somewhat slower in their growth. So it is no suprise that he turned out male. I probably would have said so off the first photos.

The main thing to keep an eye on is that the flared gills don’t damage the eyes of the fish. Most other damage is superficial and will heal quickly.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.