LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Bullying, What Is Sane And What's Not

Home Forums My Aquarium Bullying, What Is Sane And What's Not

This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  thelizzious 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

thelizzious

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Sep 30 2008, 10:46 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Liz, you ain’t gonna lose her but if i was you i’d be expecting to see some fry flirting at the top of the tank soon.
    she’s in the process of pregnancy and because of that your male will not leave her alone, in the best circumstance the female would be happier in a tank of her own but us fish people rarely have a tank thats free to do this.

mick

Sorry I didn’t reply Mick, I didn’t want to be rude, but my pc is making havoc again. How long does a pregnancy of a micky mouse platy take. Oh uh, I just realized I said somethimh very silly about a fish called micky….phew..(goes of to wave herself some fresh air in her very red face) /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

don’t you worry girl, i’ve been called alot worse

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (thelizzious @ Oct 2 2008, 10:07 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I am confused now. He is still chasing her up and down the wall, then she disappears for a few second, but she always returns to continue this up/down the wall game. Should a guppy fry tank do? I don’t have anyother tank, except the 120 l tank with my f6 in it.

she’s just trying to find a way to get away from the male…hide a moment to rest, and then start trying to go forward again. It’s a nervous thing she’s doing.
    look at this thing:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod…fm?pcatid=14698
    you can use that type, or a simple net cube that hangs on the inside of the tank . You can also get a tank divider and make her a little side room. or you can get a few more females for the male to chase, and a lot of plants.

thelizzious

QUOTE (Reva @ Oct 2 2008, 10:22 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    she’s just trying to find a way to get away from the male…hide a moment to rest, and then start trying to go forward again. It’s a nervous thing she’s doing.
    look at this thing:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod…fm?pcatid=14698
    you can use that type, or a simple net cube that hangs on the inside of the tank . You can also get a tank divider and make her a little side room. or you can get a few more females for the male to chase, and a lot of plants.

The male is getting pretty violent. I tried to get Minny and put her in the guppy breeder with no success, but micky (see Mick? micky withhout a capital M

Reva
    Participant

Well /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” /> LOL

this is why I dont have swordtails anymore. Cant stand the stress of catching the fry.
    I always say to myself that they would make good live food for my angelfish or leopard bush fish. Then I feel sorry for them and in a panic , start fishing them out and setting up a nursery tank…

I feel for ya girl *nodding sagely* yep…have a glass of wine And a bubble bath

thelizzious

Can I instead have a cappucino, plz? I don’t drink alcohol (there is good reason), but am a coffee-addict now, /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

thelizzious

/ph34r.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:ph34r:” border=”0″ alt=”ph34r.gif” /> from point alpha to point zero, not realy expecting anything… but there he was! Or a she, it’s too tiny to tell the difference, I almost hitted the ceiling! But then I came down very calm, very easy, very focused. Where the bleep did it just go? There he is, I whispered, not to scare him off again, he lives inside of that shell. Maybe there are more of them. darn, he is older then I expected, he already has black fins and a black tail, it must be a platy. But my micky and minny have no black tails or fins. Could the mummy have gone astray? And I just came to (my) conclusion that I may have overpopulated that small tank. I didn’t expect to see any youngsters, but now I am constantly stalking the area where I saw the platy-child the last time. If he is a sole survivor, I hope he makes it into adulthood. Boy, this is exciting! Sssth, Lizzy, a sniper makes no sound….where did my mark go?…Yep, there he is.

Reva
    Participant

Hey Lizz, sorry I disappeared on you…have a business that eats my brain some days. Well, here in the Pacific NW USA, where coffee is king , I recommend a Mocha Valencia and a cinnamon roll….

Can you get a bigger tank and keep the small one for raising babies?

If not, most fish stores have a tank for baby guppies and mollies and might raise your babies.

Tetras are easier as far as schooling together and not being dramatic , but they have a requirement of soft , acidic water conditions. So “shells” and such, which raise the hardness, would be a no no, and you’d have to use water softening techniques to keep them successfully. Also, some tetras act like little piranas to fish with long flowing fins, like bettas, and you shouldnt mix them . so what are you gonna do? what’s your local water like?

thelizzious

Our local water is hard as a rock, but that doesn’t seem to be a problem as far as I can tell. When it has rained I filter that water and use it in both tanks. I also boil water and let it rest for a few days before I use it in the tanks. Besides of that I always use EasyLife to soften the water and to help the filtering. I have recently bought a 12 l. tank, but it has nothing extra, no light, no heater, no filter, not even a “roof”

thelizzious
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.