LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Can Any 1 Help…….

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Can Any 1 Help…….

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  kath 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

kath
    Participant

i have started up my tropical tank 4 christmas……..but….everything is going wrong my ph is 7.6 and
    gh-20 my plants have died lol . i am new to keeping a tropical tank but have experiance with cold water fish.
    has any 1 got any tips and effective ways to lower both ph and gh thats not goining to cost a bomb
    thanx
    kath.

Richy
    Participant

Hi again Kath, welcome to SF /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Richy

ndc
    Participant

the perameters dont seem too bad , stick a bit of bodwood in and it will work a bit – there may be other reasons why the plants are not surviving – how long is the light on for? how long has the tank been set up? what is the tank temp? which plants went in?

mickthefish
    Participant

hi Kath, and welcome to SF.
    to kick of with can you give the size of tank, the wattage of your light and how long it’s left on. also what substrate are you using and ornaments if any.
    to reduce your ph slowy you can use oak leaves or almond leaves as well as peat.
    make sure if you use peat that it’s got no additives in it, like fungicide.
    this will also alter your gh as well.

mick

Eyrie
    Participant

Welcome!

I know it’s not something you’ve asked, but how will you be cycling the new tank? If you still have a coldwater tank then just before you get the tropical fish give the CW filter media a good squeeze over the new filter to seed it wit the bacteria needed to break down the ammonia the fish produce into nitrIte and then into nitrAte. The dirtier the squeezings the better

kath
    Participant

i have the solution and it dusnt cost a penny RAIN WATER its the perfect water……thanks ppl lol been testn loads of different water lol even from a stream……but rainwater was the answer x

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.