LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Can You Id These…

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Can You Id These…

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jarcave 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jarcave
    Participant

Apologies for the poor quality but I didn’t have a polariser fitted when I took these pics. Both fish live in the same freshwater pool in Blue hole pond on Big Pine Key, in the Florida Keys.

I’ll be very impressed if you can name both. They were feeding on the local Gambusia.

Another random inhabitant. If you look carefully you can see the last 3″ of an alligators tail at the bottom of the pic.

Good luck!

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I would say the first is a young Barracuda by the feint bands and spots along the flanks and the shape of the face, Blue hole is a freshwater/brackish pond so quite possible.

The second fish is almost definitely a juvenile tarpon.

coelacanth
    Participant

Top one is a juvenile Sphyraena sp., not sure which though, possibly a Great Barracuda.
    The middle one is a juv. Megalops atlanticus, Tarpon. There must be occasional ingress of marine water into this habitat, or a semi-permanent connection with the sea.
    Shame you didn’t have a 9wt fly rod with you, wire leader and a popper…
    The animated pie-crust is some kind of Trachemys, probably the Red-eared Slider, or a hybrid of that with some other form.

Jarcave
    Participant

Correct gents. They where introduced to the pool by hurricane Wilma. The barracuda was spotted when just 4″ long. It’s now well over a foot. The baby tarpon is also growing well.

I didn’t have a rod with me at the time otherwise I may have cast a line. I did see some 6′ long tarpon in a nearby marina that are fed daily by the tourists. I can only imagine what they’d feel like on the fly!I did however catch mayan cichlids and oscars in the everglades. They have been ontroduced illegally along with a whole range of other exotics that now thrive out out there, Will post some more pics later.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.