LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Catfish ?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  johnpeten 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

johnpeten
    Participant

I have discovered in a decorative water feature in a local park what I think might be catfish but I don’t see any barbels. How they got there and who feeds them is still a mystery. The photos are poor quality I would have to net them to get better ones. They must not taste very good or they would have been eaten by now.

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

They are a plecostomus species John, how big are they?

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Mad Duff @ Feb 25 2010, 12:24 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    They are a plecostomus species John, how big are they?

6 to 9 inches.
    So the mystery deepens. They are supposed not to be found naturally in Guatemala. I will ask the Alcalde if he knows how they came to be here. This village, San Jose is very different to most Guatemalan villages it is very progressive, immaculately clean, has a new very expensive water park with large swimming pools and water slides. A large modern stadium and it’s own professional soccer team which has risen from 12th in the Guatemalan league to second behind Guatemala City itself. quite an achievement. With only a population of about 2,500. The President of Guatemala came to open the Water Park just over two years ago. I was photographing the event for the Alcalde and met the President who enjoyed practicing his excellent English.
    The Alcalde himself has been in office for 15 years(most unusual) and is of direct Mayan descent.

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 25 2010, 04:48 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    These can now be found in many countries around the world to which they’re not native John including as far afield as Indonesia. /angry.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:angry:” border=”0″ alt=”angry.gif” /> when I noticed their shadows under the small bridge.

The photos show the village of San Jose, the main square with the small park in the background, the afternoon bus has just arrived. The other photo is of the small park where the catfish live taken at night. The lights are turned off before midnight allowing the catfish to come out and do their job.

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

The Alcalde is a very smart man, I suppose if you are in his position it pays to make sure you look after yourself.

San Jose looks lovely John, in the first pic john is that the shore of the lake or sea?

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Mad Duff @ Feb 26 2010, 03:10 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The Alcalde is a very smart man, I suppose if you are in his position it pays to make sure you look after yourself.

San Jose looks lovely John, in the first pic john is that the shore of the lake or sea?

The Alcalde always has two well armed bodyguards with him. One of his sons was kidnapped a few years ago. He is so “well connected” that the son was retrieved very quickly without any interference from the Police. The kidnappers were removed from circulation.
    San Jose is 2 kms along the shore of the Lake from my house. I embark from here when I go on my fishing trips. It has a small dock and a launching ramp, convenient for loading the equipment onto the launch.

Attached files

David Marshall
    Participant

Hello to two good friends.

John the fish in your first photograph is a beautiful Snow King Plecostomus, which science named Pterygoplichthys anisitsi.

The other two look more like Common Plecostomus, Hypostomus plecostomus.

Regards David

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Feb 27 2010, 02:40 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    John the fish in your first photograph is a beautiful Snow King Plecostomus, which science named Pterygoplichthys anisitsi.

The other two look more like Common Plecostomus, Hypostomus plecostomus.

Regards David

Thank you for the info David,
    I met my informant this evening and asked how he knew about the existance of these fish, as apparently nobody else knows about them.
    The answer was as usual a quaint story /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey John

I think all of your adventures are brilliant. Glad the catfish info. was of help.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi guys, I think all three fish are the same species. *shrugs*

John funny you should mention vomit – I was elbow-deep in someone’s about four hours ago. /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Plaamoo
    Participant

I thought they all looked the same too Matt, but I’m not a pleco person.

John, great story!
    Matt, time for a new job!!

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

After another study of John’s photographs I still think we have two different species.

The fish in the top photo. is definetly Pterygoplichthys anisitsi.

Regards David

Yacuruna

John,

Great pictures! Looks like stress-free living (except for the Alcalde). These fish are neat; but unfortunately, several pleco species have established themselves in many countries outside their range, causing many problems in natural settings. I deal with this first hand here in Texas, where a couple of species wreack havoc in some river systems in the south/central regions. As a hobbyist, I marvel the large specimens that are sometimes accidentally snagged by anglers. I’m curious: What lake is that and what do you fish for on your trips?

Matt
    Keymaster

Have a search through the forums to find the answers you seek.

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Yacuruna @ Mar 5 2010, 07:59 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    John,
    I’m curious: What lake is that and what do you fish for on your trips?

If you go back to my post of 30th October and subsequent posts you will find the information that you seek.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.