LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Channa Bleheri Pics

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Channa Bleheri Pics

This topic contains 48 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author

mickthefish
    Participant

i’ve never kept snakeheads before but i had to get this little beaut, it’s around 3 1/2 inches SL.

mick

Malti
    Participant

very nice specimen…have yet to see a live one here

mickthefish
    Participant

one day Karlos and they’ll turn up for you in the shops.

mick

dunc
    Keymaster

Those colours are amazing Mick, nice pickup!

What tank you keeping it in?

mickthefish
    Participant

at the mo dunc it’s in a Qtank which is 15x12x10, but it will go into a 36 inch tank for when i get some more of them..

mick

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Nice photographs Mick.

Bleheri are a great puzzle in that they spawn in caves, complete darkness, yet require more light in their aquarium, in order to feel comfortable, than any other snakehead known in the hobby. Can anyone explain why this is?

Regards David

mickthefish
    Participant

an explanation for that question could be where they’re caught Dave, alot of these places are in an open area so that would make the cave the ideal spawning place, and for the light level it could be they are night spawners.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Ha Mick welcome to the dark side!

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Matt

I wrote my post very quickly, as I am down with the flu bug, so let me explain in a broader sense.

Yes in the safety of aquaria a number of spawnings of Channa bleheri have taken place as you say above – and hope we can see the photographs. However there are reports of bleheri in aquaria which still go back to spawning in the dark.

In the wild spawning pairs of bleheri, depending upon surroundings, will make use of a cave environment, as this protects the fry/young from predation. To read more about this the references which spring to mind are:-

The piece at http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/predatory/channableheri.php (you may have to play around a little as this is from memory).

The article on Aquarticles website (www.aquarticles.com) on the Rainbow Snakehead by Kevin Webb and David Marshall (think we know this bloke).

Rainbow Snakeheads Issue 1 of Tropical World Magazine. Photographs by Kevin Webb and text by well you know the bloke.

Hey Mick

Think you are right. Kevin was probably the first U.K. Aquarist to get close to spawning these fish – which, from memory, come into condition on a monthly cycle.

Sadly my bleheri’s never got to the spawning phase? Mick I think ‘first refusal’ to publish your account in The Aquarium Gazettte would be lovely.

I like SF because we can have a little fun without going over the top.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Hey David sorry to hear you’re under the weather mate. Is it “man flu” or the real thing? /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

wrong again David, innit bout time you got sommat right bud. /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

mick

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Mick

I know you are only joking, and take your post in a light manner, but you should have thought a little before the previous post as I do my research very thoroughly and, as you know, never post any information (or indeed write any article) that might mislead through written words.

Hey Matt

Unfortunately my flu is the ‘real thing’.

I take your very interesting points and make no arguements. We are in a hobby with no set rules and in which different people observe different things and in which, hopefully, we ‘pool’ information to help others keep or breed a certain specie – as has happened in this thread. The information in my previous post should not be discounted and I hope that any SF members trying to breed bleheri will read all that we have said and then form their owm guidelines.

In the TW article I wrote more specific things about the differences in spawning between ‘Assam’ and bleheri than in the Aquarticles piece, which was done at an earlier date. When I am feeling better will find my copy.

Regards to all

David

mickthefish
    Participant

Dave when have you ever seen me with a serious head on bud, over on petfrd there’s a few good guys that are breeding channa’s plus there’s people like Matt who’s bred them so if at any time i get stuck there’s always someone to annoy.

mick
    btw b*gg*r, they’ve started hybridizing barbs now. why can’t they leave nature alone.

mick

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Mick

Are you talking about the Red torpedo x Clown barb or those Rosy kind of hybrids you photographed in the past?

Anyway am back on, very quickly, having received an e-mail from ‘a guest’ to SF, who has read our last few posts, telling me that Channa pulchra as well as bleheri are known to spawn in caves. Anyone know much about pulchra?

Regards David

dunc
    Keymaster

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Oct 15 2008, 12:33 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Anyway am back on, very quickly, having received an e-mail from ‘a guest’ to SF, who has read our last few posts, telling me that Channa pulchra as well as bleheri are known to spawn in caves. Anyone know much about pulchra?

Please share that e-mail with us David /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.