LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Channa Sp. assam Aka Lal Cheng

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Channa Sp. assam Aka Lal Cheng

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Well it’s about time I showed some pictures of my own fish. This is a currently undescribed species of dwarf Channa from India. In nature these have a quite amazing life cycle, spending part of the year living in a particular kind of flower that fills with water! As you can see I’ve managed to breed these, as far as I know the only successful spawning in the UK to date. Would love to hear of others’ experiences with them.

Attached files

keith565
    Participant

amazing pics. and stunning fish.
    i know a shop selling what looks almost identical to these. the name was channa pulchra. could it be the same fish?

becca11
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ Mar 27 2008, 05:03 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    As you can see I’ve managed to breed these, as far as I know the only successful spawning in the UK to date /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Keith! What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be sipping some home-brewed Turkish moonshine and looking for aquatic lifeforms? No these aren’t Channa pulchra, although it is a similar species. C. Pulchra grows much larger and looks totally different if you view the two side-by-side.

becca11
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ Mar 27 2008, 05:54 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Keith! What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be sipping some home-brewed Turkish moonshine and looking for aquatic lifeforms?

I thought Keith said he was leaving on friday(tomorrow)? I could be wrong though..

Matt
    Keymaster

Keith I think you have a stalker

becca11
    Participant

Shhh! Matt! Your not supposed to tell him..

keith565
    Participant

lol. i’ve got a few stalkers /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />
    we fly tomorrow afternoon. so will soon be tasting the local delicacy. oh and the beers.

Matt
    Keymaster

This is Channa pulchra. Those prominent orange markings on the body and peppering of black spots on the dorsal surface help to distinguish it from other similar Channa. I also reckon the black markings suggest that this species is quite closely related to Channa stewartii, although I’ve not seen the description paper yet. Hopefully I’ll manage to nab a copy soon.

Keith these are Colin Dunlop’s fish. I must admit I swiped the pics off Petfrd…ahem.

Attached files

keith565
    Participant

i’m certain those are not the ones in the shop. i will get some pics after my hols.
    oh, i will certainly enjoy them,

becca11
    Participant

Matt, Just admit it, your just jelous that I get to stalk Keith, and you don’t..

keith565
    Participant

ooooh, now i AM scared.lmao

becca11
    Participant

Matt
    Keymaster

Keith will you just go and stop making us all jealous!

becca11
    Participant

Oh shush. I’m no stalker…

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.