LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Chembarambakkam Lake ( Chennai, India )

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation Chembarambakkam Lake ( Chennai, India )

This topic contains 32 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Rhaethe 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Shankar

Welcome, mate.

It’s a sheer pleasure to go out on fishing expeditions.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Wonerful Shankar! Doesn’t get any better than shots in the wild! What are you using for an underwater camera?

Shankar

QUOTE (plaamoo @ Dec 26 2010, 08:54 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Wonerful Shankar! Doesn’t get any better than shots in the wild! What are you using for an underwater camera?

Thanks for the appreciation. Mine is a waterproof camera. Olympus Tough 8010.

Colin
    Participant

Nice to see the videos of the natural habitat!!!

Shankar

Thanks Colin.

Matt, here’s another pic of the filamentosus for you. This was from the trip done yesterday.

PS: The above is an assortment of dead Barbs from a fisherman’s catch. I didn’t kill them.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Shankar great pic ,even in death the colours are stunning !

I’ll try guessing at the names /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Amazing colours.

Shankar

Thanks Andy! You are right on all the IDs, except for G. thomassi. Puntius dorsalis it is.

Matt, Gambusia is practically found in all the waters where the humans live here. About 3000 nos of Hemichromis sp found their way out from the flood affected fish farm about 3 years back. These are reported from 2 lakes in Chennai, presently. But, since most of our lakes are inter-connected by canals, I am sure these should be wide-spread all over Chennai. And these being exceptionally good parents, make the chances of their survival even more stronger. : (

andy rushworth
    Participant

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XSoRof7RYAM/SaPL…han_puntius.jpg

Hi Shankar , I posted a pic of P.kelumi a Sri lankan fish which used to be sold as P.dorsalis in the trade , there was also another rarer fish that would sometimes appear in these shipments ,it was more bronze/brownish in colour it also had a black slash on the edge of the gils , that fish is in Pethyagodas book as P.dorsalis , but looks a little different to the fish in your pic ? do you have any aquarium live pics of your Dorsalis /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” /> sadly Sri lankan fishes are now rare in the trade /huh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:huh:” border=”0″ alt=”huh.gif” /> .

Shankar

Andy, the only other dorsalis pic that I have, has been posted in the previous page of this thread. Will click a live specimen in a photography tank, in my next trip.

Shankar

A few pictures from another trip to the lake.

Puntius conchonius

Well camouflaged Hemichromis

Badis badis with some bright colours

Pleco

Another badis

Channa punctatus

Lepidocephalichthys sp – ID help needed.

And a couple of underwater videos as well.

Colisa lalia – Guess it has moved on to a new genus now.

And this bold Badis badis in ‘non-turbulent’ waters View Original Movie

Stefan

Ah brilliant Shankar! Badis really aren’t afraid of anything; a lone male would invade a country if he could

andy rushworth
    Participant

Shankar , look forward to that , thanks .

Matt
    Keymaster

Mental to see Hemichromis and Trichogaster (yep new genus) in the same habitat! Anyone know which pleco that is?

Stefan

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 11 2011, 12:59 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Mental to see Hemichromis and Trichogaster (yep new genus) in the same habitat! Anyone know which pleco that is?

To see an invasive species like that saddens me, really.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.