LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Cichlids in a Hungarian stream

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Cichlids in a Hungarian stream

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

illustrator
    Participant

cichlid4.jpg

cichlid1.jpg

cichlid2.jpg

cichlid3.jpg

These are some cichlids from a thermal stream in Hungary (at Heviz). Can any of you put an id to them? I would guess some Theraps? They reach about 15 cm in the stream, I think that the same species will be a lot bigger in an aquarium.

Edit: not sure how to upload pictures. Will try.

illustrator
    Participant

OK, managed to upload the pictures. The stream is at a hot spring and the water is not clear. It contains sulfur, amongst many other things. These cichlids stayed at half a meter or so from my camera, hence the blurred images. I had a minnow trap with me, but obviously the wrong bait (dried shrimp/tortoise food) and it did not attract the fish at all. It is a good day driving for me to get there, so I will not have any better pictures soon. Anyway, some kind of ID would be great because I plan to write an article in a local aquarium magazine about this stream (and if anyone has contacts with TFH: I would like to write an English version for them as well! Trying to get some of my gasoline costs refunded this way …. ).

illustrator
    Participant

poecilia-man-adult-2.jpg

Poecilia-juveniele-mannetjes.jpg

And now that I am asking for id’s anyway: can any of you put an id to these Poecilia, from the same stream? I would estimate them about 8 cm (adults). I could not get the adult male any better on the picture, but he looked stunning in real life! These could very well be aquarium hybrids, there was also a black spotted female in the stream, like the velifera-hybrids in the shops. 

illustrator
    Participant

Cichlids are probably Paraneetroplus melanurus. Any suggestion on the Poecilia?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

The molly might be mexicana?

Matt
    Keymaster

Do you have any photos of the stream illustrator?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.