LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Co2 And Aggression?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Co2 And Aggression?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  coelacanth 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

john stephen
    Participant

Hello all. Having only just registered with the forum I’m unsure if this subject has previously been raised. If so could you please direct me to the appropriate link. Could somebody please tell me if there is any link between raised co2 levels and aggression in a normally docile aquarium. I’m asking because after many months of trial and error I finally have a flourishing, planted, freshwater aquarium, thanks partly to a diy co2 infusion which I set up about 8 weeks ago. Unfortunately about 4 weeks ago I started to notice a male swordtail being unusually aggressive towards the 3 platy’s and more recently towards 6 zebra danio’s resulting in them all spending much of their time in hiding. I have considered territorial/mating behaviour but why now after 8 months of apparent harmony? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi John and welcome.

john stephen
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 6 2010, 08:45 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi John and welcome. /unsure.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:unsure:” border=”0″ alt=”unsure.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi John 1.5″ is pretty small for a male sword but I wouldn’t be surprised that it hasn’t grown the way some of these domesticated forms have become. Maybe it’s just coming into sexual maturity hence the heightened aggression? To answer your original question I’ve never heard of CO2 added to aid plant growth affecting the behaviour of a fish before.

john stephen
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 7 2010, 03:28 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi John 1.5″ is pretty small for a male sword but I wouldn’t be surprised that it hasn’t grown the way some of these domesticated forms have become. Maybe it’s just coming into sexual maturity hence the heightened aggression? To answer your original question I’ve never heard of CO2 added to aid plant growth affecting the behaviour of a fish before.

Many thanks for the info Matt. Just one more query. As his behaviour is causing many of the other inhabitants to hide away for the majority of the time, would isolating him for a short period be of any help or should I just allow nature to take its own course?.

Eyrie
    Participant

I don’t think the problem fish will learn to associate being isolated with bad behaviour. I’d actually lean the other way and suggest that it would be worse on returning to the tank as it then seeks to re-establish itself.

Bluedave
    Participant

Having used CO2 in a few tanks I have never had a problem with aggression – other than that which you’d expect from certain fish.

john stephen
    Participant

Many thanks to all for the info’ and comments. I’ll allow the culprit to strut his stuff for the time being. I’m hoping it doesn’t last too long as it’s a shame his “tankmates” don’t have the freedom to swim where they like at the moment. Ah well, Que Sera Sera.

coelacanth
    Participant

It has been shown in Convict Cichlids, not sure about other spp.

Matt
    Keymaster

Got a link Pete?

Eyrie
    Participant

Was there any explanation of the cause (eg reduced oxygen levels?)

coelacanth
    Participant

Got the actual paper somewhere, dunno where though…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.