LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Cobitis Paludica

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Cobitis Paludica

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I got a group of Cobitis paludica from Matt via Dunc and Keith (thanks chaps /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” /> ), I got them into their own tank and after a few days most had picked up but a couple of the adults were starting to loose weight which I thought was sorted with levimasole. Unfortunately 4 of the juveniles and two adults didn’t pick up and I lost them /ohmy.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:o” border=”0″ alt=”ohmy.gif” />

The pics I took when I moved them were rubbish so I took a few more a few days ago when having a sort out in the rivertank:

Male

Female and juveniles (from Matt)

Male and juvenile (from Matt)

Male front, female right (with juvenile behind) and that is a new youngster on the far left

Juvenile (from Matt) and new youngster

Poor image of new youngster

I have to say that I am very impressed with the growth rate of these youngsters, they seem to be growing by the day

Matt
    Keymaster

Bloody hell I think you’re right Mark; we didn’t collect any that small as far as I remember. Dunc?

Great pics by the way.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Yeah there is some red in the caudal and it does get brighter when they are eating frozen food as opposed to when they are on dried food.

Even Joy noticed the size difference straight away so it wasn’t just my eyes /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Plaamoo
    Participant

They’re beauties mark! Anyone heading stateside in the near future please bring some along!

Matt
    Keymaster

Btw Mick was supposed to get some of these. Any news?

Edit: and I’d like to know where they’ve been kept pre-rivertank and water parameters etc. if that’s ok Mark? How long have you had them now? 2 months or summat?

Great to see them alive and well.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I was hoping to meet up with Mick in October but things didn’t go to plan but I will be hopefully meeting up with Mick on December 1st at Pier, I will take Mick the remaining adults and juveniles.

They were kept in a 15 gallon cube up until being moved to the rivertank, the tank had a thin layer of very fine gravel on the bottom with a large clump of Java fern down the right side of the tank, a huge clump of Java moss down the left side and some small pebbles and anubias in the middle.

Temperature was around 71 – 72 and ph was about 7.4, feeding was a mix of ground dried foods on a morning, bloodworm and/or white midge larvae on an evening, 25% water changes were carried out twice a week.

Yeah had them for 2 months Matt, according to Kottelat they spawn April to July so I am thinking with so many temperature variations and changes in water parameters in such a short space of time has probably knocked the weaker fish but spurred the other to spawn.

Like I said before I cant believe the growth rate, they do seem to grow by the day. I have seen this in our own cobitis species though, I have been to rivers in the past in July and that years fry are already around 3/4″ in length.

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah the growth rate doesn’t surprise me given their environment; the Aphanius grow really fast as well and are able to breed at 3 months old. Thanks for the info mate.

Author
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.