LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Coldwater Fish

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Coldwater Fish

This topic contains 28 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Malti 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Amy
    Participant

Is there many fish other than goldfish that can be kept as indoor coldwater fish?

dunc
    Keymaster

There aren’t a huge amount, unfortunately.

One fish that I would recommend to anyone wanting to keep an indoor coldwater aquarium is the White Cloud Mountain Minnow, the profile of which can be found here:
    http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?g…ecies=albonubes

As Matt wrote in that profile:
    “This species mostly inhabits cool, slow-flowing mountain streams. The substrate is often composed of smooth, water-worn rocks and pebbles of varying sizes. Winter temperatures can be as low as 5°C.”

They’re easy to keep and can be quite attractive – males in particular can develop intense red colouration on their caudal fins.

A lot of the other coldwater species – Koi, Tench, Rudd, Orfe etc are too large and too active to be kept indoors, plus they prefer cooler water temperatures which can be difficult to maintain in a house with heating

Wargh

There are a few different varients of goldfish too, fantails and black moors and those kinds of fancy goldfish. Theyre ment to be better for indoor cos they prefer warmer temperatures. Dont think theyd survive outdoors?

Matt
    Keymaster

There’s actually a lot more than people realise. A lot of the hill stream species from various Asian countries prefer cooler conditions. Tanks containing some Danio species and things like Barilius, Opsarius, or hill stream loaches can actually suffer from overheating problems in summer. The recently discovered Vietnamese Mountain Minnow, Tanichthys micagemmae is really beautiful.

Chaetostoma, usually sold as bulldog plecs like cool water, too. Some of the Gymnogeophagus cichlids from Argentina are also better kept in unheated tanks for at least part of the year, although they might be tricky to get hold of.

There’s also the weather loach, of course and many shops seem to be selling the “Sucking Loach” (Gyrinocheilus aymonieri ) for coldwater tanks these days. These will probably survive but they can get quite large and aggressive as they mature. Not one I’d recommend personally.

There are also loads of North American species that are suitable, although some are banned from export these days. One that does spring to mind and is ideal for small tanks is the Everglades Pygmy Sunfish, Elassoma evergladei . Don’t see them for sale very often but they have fascinating behaviour and are super cute!

Hope that helps

dunc
    Keymaster

How could I forget all those lot http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?id=188

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those in the flesh unfortunately, at least not up here. Have you Mr Ford?

Matt
    Keymaster

Yes I’ve seen G. meridionalis and balzanii in the flesh. The meridionalis made me go

dunc
    Keymaster

Wow.. that is an extremely attractive fish.

Matt
    Keymaster

So pretty, I’ve seen them with a lot more red on them than that too. G. gymnogenys is also nice…

Attached files

galilee
    Participant

it all depends on what is considered cold water. winter conditions would be slim pickins unless you are into game fish like bass, trout, and the likes. but i was surprised to learn of quite a few tropicals that prefer temperatures in the mid to low 70’s F (low 20’s C) some mountain stream fish from Mexico, Costa rica, ect. i will reseach this and edit this post.

Matt
    Keymaster

That would be really interesting, cheers!

Phill Austen
    Participant

QUOTE (galilee @ Mar 29 2008, 06:06 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    it all depends on what is considered cold water. winter conditions would be slim pickins unless you are into game fish like bass, trout, and the likes. but i was surprised to learn of quite a few tropicals that prefer temperatures in the mid to low 70’s F (low 20’s C) some mountain stream fish from Mexico, Costa rica, ect. i will reseach this and edit this post.

There are many South American Annuals (mainly Austrolebias) that will do well outdoors in the UK summer (some can overwinter in the south) Oryzias Latipes the little temperate rice fish (this fella will survive under ice) is a great little fish for patio tubs. Many Aphanius species will overwinter in the UK (although a Killi, they are not annuals). Corydoras paleatus is near enough a temperate fish (I have had them spawn below 65deg).I am sure the list goes on
    Phill.

coelacanth
    Participant

Pier Aquatics in Wigan had a good number of Gymnogeophagus last time I was there.

thelizzious

QUOTE (dunc @ Feb 12 2008, 05:13 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow.. that is an extremely attractive fish.

O..m…g…(drops chin on table and recollects it) I think I am in love. Gonna snatch that picture if you don’t mind, because I just HAVE to (try to) draw and paint this adorable fish. Such beauty. Wow.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (thelizzious @ Sep 8 2008, 10:02 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    O..m…g…(drops chin on table and recollects it) I think I am in love. Gonna snatch that picture if you don’t mind, because I just HAVE to (try to) draw and paint this adorable fish. Such beauty. Wow. /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” /> after all it could be the SF Fan Art

thelizzious

QUOTE (Malti @ Sep 8 2008, 09:41 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    we demand (please) pics of drawings then
    Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.