LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Colisa lalia dying

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Colisa lalia dying

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

JazzBora150
    Participant

my 3 Colisa Lalia have died but not all at same time

the first about 3 weeks ago i put it down to natural causes
    the second about 1 week ago and the last of them was today

my question:

are they a weak strain of fish and prone to disease or do i have a problem in my tank

no other fish has been affected or shows signs of illness

but none of the dead fish showed any signs of illness either

water parameters havnt changed as thats one thing i have trying to keep on top off

although they are not ideal values they have been stable

another question is what should the average lifespan of these fish be?

Eyrie
    Participant

Colisa lalia have a poor reputation at the moment due to an iridovirus that has infected the breeding ponds in the Far East and shortens their lifespan. If you want to keep them, then it’s a case of trying to source quality stock from a local breeder.

Mark N
    Participant

I agree with Eyrie; I bought a superb looking pair (although I knew that there would be a fair chance they would have the viral problem). They only survived for two to three weeks and looked perfectly healthy to the end.
    Maybe try to find someone breeding some from uninfected stock?

Cheers, Mark

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 15 2011, 06:40 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Colisa lalia have a poor reputation at the moment due to an iridovirus that has infected the breeding ponds in the Far East and shortens their lifespan. If you want to keep them, then it’s a case of trying to source quality stock from a local breeder.

JazzBora150
    Participant

thanks for that it has put my mind at rest a bit

is the virus contained to the Colisa Lalia or does it spread through the rest of the gourami family

Eyrie
    Participant

Haven’t heard that it affects other species, but willing to be corrected.

Matt
    Keymaster

Just to correct the species name, it’s currently Trichogaster lalius.

Is anyone in the AAGB currently breeding it perhaps?

Eyrie
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Aug 30 2011, 10:51 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Just to correct the species name, it’s currently Trichogaster lalius.

Any idea why the second element of the name has changed from “lalia” to “lalius”?

ender2811
    Participant

It’s because of the latin grammar, they just put the species name into a correct declension based on the genus name.
    Colisa is a feminine noun so the species name had to correlate with it. Now it’s changed to Trichogaster, which is a masculine pronoun so, they had to change lalia to lalius, feminine form to masculine form.

Eyrie
    Participant

Haven’t been near Latin since I left school, but that’s very clear – thanks

Kajsa12
    Participant

For me Latin at school is also a long time ago, but when I read the following article Trichogaster is feminine.
    The species name lalius is regarded as a noun, so it’s always lalius whatever gender of the genus.
    Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. http://www.alice-dsl.net/mesonauta/en_Schreibweise.pdf

ender2811
    Participant

So are u saying it should have been Colisa lalius all along?
    That doesn’t sound right to me, but I wouldn’t bet any substantial sum of money on my knowledge of latin

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (Kajsa12 @ Sep 1 2011, 09:23 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    For me Latin at school is also a long time ago, but when I read the following article Trichogaster is feminine.
    The species name lalius is regarded as a noun, so it’s always lalius whatever gender of the genus.
    Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. http://www.alice-dsl.net/mesonauta/en_Schreibweise.pdf

I think you’re right Henri and it was even described with that name.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.