LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Collecting In Hong Kong

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Collecting In Hong Kong

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Johora 6 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Johora
    Participant

I was in HK last December on Holiday and managed to do some collecting with the help of some acquaintances. To start it off, here are some pics of Caridina cantonensis. They were found in very large numbers in a slow flowing clear water stream.

Attached files

Johora
    Participant

The other two crusties that were found in the stream included these two, Cryptopotamon anacoluthon and the more terrestrial Nanhaipotamon hongkongense.

The first 2 pics are of a adult male C.anacoluthon and the others of a juvenile N.hongkongense. The Cryptos were more abundant hiding among the vegetation in the stream while the Nanhaipotamon proved quite elusive and we failed to find an adult, which has some real colour to it. (I did manage to find a adult pair in a pet store, but I’ll share the store finds in another thread.)

Both of the crabs are endemic to Hong Kong.

Attached files

Johora
    Participant

Also present in the stream (Much to my delight) were some small loaches which are probably Oreonectes platycephalus. Didn’t think I’d get any fish so it was a real bonus. Would have taken better shots once they settled in, but unfortunately lost most of them today.

Attached files

Johora
    Participant

The final two critters collected on this trip are again crabs (I quite like them if you haven’t noticed by now). Uca splendida and Chasmagnathus convexus.

Both have very nice colours and the Uca was also found in the shops.

I’ll try to have the thread on the animals found in the shops and markets up soon, but until then, enjoy the pics.

Attached files

mikev
    Participant

Thank you very much!

The photo with two loaches…. the fish above looks like a rhinogobius (diospilus?).

Johora
    Participant

That fish was purchased locally. Bought as R.zhoui, but I suspect it to be duospilus

oaken
    Participant

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Matt
    Keymaster

Superb photos Paul, thanks for posting! Did you bring some crabs home, then?

Johora
    Participant

Practically brought everything home. Crabs are much easier to transport compared to fish.

Matt
    Keymaster

Are the Uca easy to keep in captivity?

Asking because there’s a Spanish version, U. tangeri

Attached files

Johora
    Participant

I’ve kept them with self mixed brackish water but still haven’t managed to maintain them any longer than a few months.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.