LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Compatibility: Boraras Trichogaster

Home Forums My Aquarium Compatibility: Boraras Trichogaster

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  plesner 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hovlandl
    Participant

I currently have the following in my heavily planted, established, 72G (48″ wide) tank:

3 Trichogaster leeri (2 females +1 male. Females 2″ each; male slightly larger)
    10 Danio albolineatis (1″ each)

I would like to keep the feeling of spaciousness that this exceedingly light stocking imparts, but with a little more color and a bit more movement. Hence the desire to add 8 – 10 B. brigittae to the mix.

My initial thought is that the mosquito rasboras should be okay, given the pearl gouramis’ small mouths and relatively modest adult size. However, would prefer to verify that the boraras won’t get eaten or harrassed while they’re still less than an inch long.

Anybody have any experience with this pairing?

Colin
    Participant

How’s your pH? The brigittae seem to do better at about pH5 – I have had them at 3.5 though… No problem for the leeri but the Danios might not be so keen?!

Hovlandl
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Jun 22 2011, 12:38 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    How’s your pH? The brigittae seem to do better at about pH5 – I have had them at 3.5 though… No problem for the leeri but the Danios might not be so keen?!

pH around here is 7.8, with a kH of 7 or a little higher.

Stefan

I agree with Colin, and those Danio will probably not do well on anything below 6.5 (pH). I’m unsure if the leerii will consume smaller fish.

Hovlandl
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Jun 23 2011, 11:57 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I agree with Colin, and those Danio will probably not do well on anything below 6.5 (pH). I’m unsure if the leerii will consume smaller fish.

Given that whatever I add next will need to be compatible with the pH & kH needs and temperament of the pre-existing fish, the brigittae are obviously not a compatible match.

I thank you both for your help!

Deborah

Matt
    Keymaster

What about one of the Microdevario spp.? May suit your water parameters a little better.

Hovlandl
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jun 24 2011, 06:01 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    What about one of the Microdevario spp.? May suit your water parameters a little better.

An intriguing thought.

Do you know which of the microdevario spp are the most colorful? I’m having a little trouble locating precisely labelled photos of these wee fishies.

Matt
    Keymaster

They’ll be added to the KB shortly but here are the three described species:

M. gatesi

M. kubotai

M. nana

All photos © Choy Heng Wah

Attached files

Hovlandl
    Participant
    Matt wrote on Jun 25 2011, 05:57 AM:
    They’ll be added to the KB shortly but here are the three described species:

Wow – very nice. Thanks!

plesner
    Participant

QUOTE (Hovlandl @ Jun 22 2011, 08:24 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    My initial thought is that the mosquito rasboras should be okay, given the pearl gouramis’ small mouths and relatively modest adult size. However, would prefer to verify that the boraras won’t get eaten or harrassed while they’re still less than an inch long.

Anybody have any experience with this pairing?

I’m not sure about T. leeri, but I kept a pair of 8″ T. pectoralis with 20 Boraras maculata without any losses for a couple of years back in the 80’s. T. pectoralis is supposed to be the Trichogaster species least likely to eat other fish, and it did work for me. They were kept in a densely planted 325L (130x50x50cm).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.